CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1093010
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093010.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:50:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Cliddesden
National Grid Reference:
SU 63303 49074

Details

SU 64 NW CLIDDESDEN CHURCH LANE 15/21 26.4.57 Church of St Leonard

II

C12, C15, mainly 1889. A single-celled nave and chancel, extended in the late C19 at the time of the substantial restoration. Continuous old tile roof (nave tiling at the eastern side), with a stone bell-turret above the west gables. There is flint with stone dressings, with buttresses at the corners and intermediately, the eastern bay having flintwork of the restoration date, moulded plinth and a cill band carried round the east end. The Gothic traceried windows are mainly coupled lights beneath hood-moulds but the east side has 2 square framed lights close together, the east and west windows being of 3 lights; all contain stained glass with a modern design in the west window. There is a stone south porch. Within, the roof has C15 arch-braced trusses, with tie beams, close-coupled at the old division between nave and chancel, with lighter eastern trusses more closely spaced. On the north side of the nave is a part recess, being the surviving Norman doorway (also visible on the outside). There is a Victorian Vestry on the north side, with an arched opening onto the chancel, containing the organ. All the fittings are Victorian.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138551
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12760/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].