CHURCH OF ST. STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1092941
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. STEPHEN, GREYWELL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092941.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:27:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. STEPHEN, GREYWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Mapledurwell and Up Nately
National Grid Reference:
SU 70069 51971

Details

SU 75 SW MAPLEDURWELL & UP NATELY GREYWELL ROAD 12/17 26.4.57 Church of St Stephen

II*

Circa 1200, C15, and 1844. Nave, small chancel, and west tower. Of the earlier structure the south wall of flint and the chancel arch remain, with a Perpendicular window on the south side and a Norman doorway (with dogtooth edging) on the north the nave roof is a scissors truss with arch bracing, of the C15. The exterior is mostly of 1844, the walling having bands of red brick and flintwork, with buttresses (diagonal at corners), windows are coupled lights in Perpendicular style, under hoodmoulds. The slender tower, (of 1844) has 3 stages, the upper being mostly brickwork, with a crenellated parapet; within, the tall arch produces a 2-storeyed effect, the upper part with an open vail (old communion rail) to a balcony, and a hatchment Royal Coat of Arms of 1829. At the floor level is a Victorian Perpendicular font, and on the south wall a Greek ikon (a painting of St Thomas on a thick wood panel). Next to the entrance is an old almsbox. The restoration period also accounts for a small vestry in the position of a south porch, and for the smallness of the chancel, which has a 3-light window.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138699
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11097/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Cordy-Simpson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].