CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1092816
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092816.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:10:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherfield on Loddon
National Grid Reference:
SU 67193 56794

Details

SU 65 NE SHERFIELD ON LODDON CHURCH END 6/69 26.4.57 Church of St Leonard

II

C14, almost wholly restored in 1866 by Woodman, and 1872 (tower) by J W Hugall. Nave, chancel, small northern additions to chancel and the east end of the navel tower above the south porth. Tile roof. Flint walling with stone dressings, parts of the base wall at the eastern end are of stone rubble, and the priest's door and west door have old stone frames; also some survival of C14 traceried windows. Although a Victorian interior, there are some older features a brass of 1590 and another of 1595, floor tomb slabs of 1708 and 1735, a painted 'benefactors' panel of 1710, and a set of mid C19 'Gothic' Prescriptions (from the redundant church of Stratfield Turgis). The tower is prominent, with a shingled broach spire, 3 stages, flat buttresses of flint with stone dressings.

Listing NGR: SU6718256644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
139006
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05414/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Brian Steptoe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].