CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1092728
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092728.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:58:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Weston Patrick
National Grid Reference:
SU 69094 46891

Details

SU 64 NE WESTON CORBETT & WESTON PATRICK WESTON PATRICK 16/54 26.4.57 Church of St Lawrence

II*

C12, and 1868 by T H Wyatt. On an old site, and retaining the general form, the church was rebuilt by the Wyatt family, producing a stylish Victorian Gothic building. Single cell nave and chancel, with a south aisle and vestry. The exterior has a steep slate roof (flatter lead covered to the aisle) with a large western bell turret, having a shingled broach spire above a double tier of openings, and slate-hung sides. The walling is in flint with stone dressings; simple buttresses, hoodmoulds, plinth band. The north side windows are lancets (a single and 2 coupled of different depth), the east has 3 lancets with small roundels to give a plate tracery effect, the west has an 8-cusped circular light above 2 detached lancets. There is a porch with a timber frame on a stone base wall, with arch-braced gable, enclosing the oldest surviving feature (from the original church) of the Norman doorway, a plain round arch with a square outer moulding finishing on square abaci. Within, the church is enriched by moulded nave arches, on plain drum columns with octagonal moulded caps and bases. The plain scissors truss of the nave is covered in painted panels above the chancel, the separation from the nave being marked by a delicate arch-braced truss (with cusped spandrel decoration) resting on short detached marble columns, with moulded caps, mid-band and base. At the west end of the nave a massive king-post truss supports the bell turret above. Other details include a panelled reredos, a piscina, altar rails, a low stone screen wall below the chancel "arch", an octagonal font, and stained glass. A small frame encloses part of an embroidered altar cloth with initials GG George Green, of Western Corbett House and IR, and the date 1682.

Listing NGR: SU6904247010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
139206
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05252/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].