CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1092592
Date first listed:
16-May-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092592.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:27:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Baughurst
National Grid Reference:
SU 58210 59941

Details

SU 55 NE BAUGHURST BAUGHURST 9/11 16.5.66 CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

II*

1845, by Ferry, replacing a medieval building. Ferry was a fellow-pupil of Pugin and this Early English design represents advanced scholarship for its date. Chancel of 2 bays, with vestry on the north side, nave of 4 bays, and Tower above the south porch (3rd bay). Steep tile roof. Walling of flint with stone dressings, eaves fascia on brackets, hood moulds linked to impost moulded band, cill band, plinth, stepped buttresses; at the west end a doorway of circa 1200 (from the old church) has been incorporated, with slender shafts. Lancets and coupled lancets beneath cusped plate tracery, the east end has 3 lancets below a circular window. The west has 2 lancets set within an external 5-arched arcade beneath a triangular (segmental) opening, having 3 circular lights. The tower has 4 stages, the 2nd having battered corners forming an octagonal base to the 3rd stage, which has small double lancets to each face and ends in a parapet, the 4th being a stone spire. Within there is a C15 Perpendicular octagonal font, the remains of a C15 wood screen, a Thomas Sympson bequest brass of 1674, and several C18 monuments. Of 1845, there is a stone pulpit, the prescriptions in 2 lancet panels set in the well opposite the door, and some stained glass (including 2 heraldic designs in the south side of the chancel), and an arch-braced hammer-beam roof.

Listing NGR: SU5665359212

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
137960
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00353/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. Bridger. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].