CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1092447
Date first listed:
16-May-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, SWAN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092447.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:11:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, SWAN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Kingsclere
National Grid Reference:
SU 52521 58657

Details

SU 5258 KINGSCLERE SWAN STREET SU 5259 13/52 16.5.66 Church of St Mary

II*

C12, C13, C15, with a substantial new construction and restoration by Hellyer and Ryde of 1848. On the site of a Saxon minister, a large cruciform Norman church, with a central tower, and a later south chapel. The restoration of 1848 accounts for the re-faced exterior, the raising of the tower, and walling of knapped flint with stone dressings; the details are 'Norman', with earlier fragments incorporated in the north door (now filled). The west door has recessed stages with moulded arches on columns, the south chapel has Perpendicular windows and stepped buttresses, the east window having 'Geometrical' tracery. The inside is severaly plain, with deeply-splayed 'Norman' lights to the nave, and an Early English arcade between the chancel and south chapel, having moulded caps. The table-top Purbeck font is C12 (with a modern base), the pulpit is Jacobean, and the candelabra at the crossing is dated 1713. The chapel contains brasses of 1503, 1519 and 1580, as well as a number of C18 and early C19 wall monuments. The south transept has a donations board of 1830, and the tomb monument to Sir Henry Kingsmill (died 1620), and his wife Bridget (died 1672); this comprises 2 fine alabaster effigies recumbant on a classical altar tomb, of black and white marble. Unique weather vane. The setting of the church in the central green space is important.

Listing NGR: SU5250258582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138228
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06343/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].