CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1092232
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092232.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:27:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Hart (District Authority)
Parish:
Long Sutton
National Grid Reference:
SU 73889 47381

Details

SU 74 NW LONG SUTTON THE STREET (North Side)

11/35 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

24.11.61

- II*

C13, C15 and modern. Single cell of nave and chancel, with a slightly later chapel attached on the south side of the nave. All of the C13, with a modern north vestry and south porch; C15 timber-framed belfry rising through the centre of the nave. Red tile roof, bell-turret has a pyramid roof with shingles and weather-boarded walling. Walling is roughcast or rendering on flint and stone core, the new vestry is in red brick. Windows are all original lancets, with a circular light above the 2 at the east end, but there is also a traceried 2-light window on the north wall of 1340, a west window of 1862, and restored triple lancets in the east wall of the chapel. The timber-framed porch has a single-slope tile roof, scalloped barge-board, and panelled side frame above a lower wall. Inside, the main timber supports to the belfy are arch-braced( there is a chancel arch of the late C19, a single 13 arch (to the chapel) on ½-round columns, and a font. The south chapel has an ogee leaded niche above a trefoil piscina, a painted Royal Coat of Arms of George IV. 3 bells of circa 1520 are chimed.

Listing NGR: SU7391647347

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
136821
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02547/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Porter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].