CHURCH OF ST FAITH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1092120
Date first listed:
16-May-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, WEST STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092120.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:57:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Havant (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71764 06238

Details

SU 7106 HAVANT WEST STREET Havant 16.5.52 10/17 CHURCH OF ST FAITH II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C15, 1832, and 1874. A cruciform transitional building with later changes, including chancel of the C13, a C14 vestry, transepts with western aisles of the C15 (the south being much restored) nave of 4 bays with aisles, having been rebuilt in 1832, and again in 1874, when the tower was rebuilt above the arches. Restored exterior with flint and stone rubble walls, with stone dressings, red tile roofing with double gables to the transepts, crenellated parapet and octagonal stair turret to the tower. Within, the chancel of 2 bays has a quadripartite ribbed vault and an original lancet, there are old arches on octagonal piers to the 2-bay north transept, the original tower arches rest on massive columns with scalloped caps and Purbeck recessed shafts. The later parts follow the Transitional style, but windows are mostly Perpendicular traceried lights (with some original fragments). There are several C18 wall monuments and a brass to Thomas Aylward (1413).

Listing NGR: SU7136806330

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135529
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01912/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].