CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1091616
Date first listed:
16-May-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091616.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:33:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Havant (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 72201 00045

Details

SU 70 SW HAVANT CHURCH ROAD, Hayling Island 16.5.52 7/33 CHURCH OF ST MARY II*

Parish church. C13, restoration 1869 by Street (of the nave) and 1892 by Blomfield. Nave and aisles of 4 bays with the tower above the east bay (no transepts) chancel, north vestry, and south porch. The interior arcade (with cusped circular small clerestory lights above the columns) has been restored, but the tower supports (½ octagonal columns set against a square core) and the rest of the interior is C13, the notable features being the tall lancets (5 at the east end) of the chancel. There is a double-arched piscina and the part-remains of an old Purbeck font. Externally, the C13 effect is complete, with steep tile roofing, stepped buttresses, lancets, a C19 Perpendicular west window, and a plain C13 west door. There are north and south doors, the latter with a large (partly medieval) timber porch. The central tower has 2 stages with lancets, and has a shingled broach spire. Walls are of stone rubble with stone dressings.

Listing NGR: SU6930305647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135340
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01919/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].