CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089478.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 21:30:26.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- Temple Guiting
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 09137 27842
TEMPLE GUITING TEMPLE GUITING VILLAGE
SP 02 NE
6/156 Churcn of 5t. Mary
Anglican parish church. C12 chancel with remnant of C13 extension east. C12 nave and C13 north transept virtually rebuilt C16. North porch 1884. Tower rebuilt C17 with pinnacles added 1834. Restoration 1884 by J. E. Cutts. Coursed squared and dressed limestone. North wall of transept limestone rubble. Nave roof not visible. Limestone slate roof to chancel and north porch. Nave with north porch and north transept; west tower, chancel. Nave north side: 2 Perpendicular windows with stopped hoods flanking north porch, tracery removed C18 and rectangular leaded panes inserted. Gabled north porch with early studded plank door within round-headed surround. Nave south side. 4 windowed; 2 windows, as on north flanking former south door (now blocked), original tracery retained in right-hand window. Blocked door C16 with hollow- chamfered and roll-moulded surround with carved spandrels. Lancet window lower right with hood with ballflower ornament and stops in the form of human heads, possible entrance to former rood loft above with plain rectangular surround. North transept: Perpendicular west window with C19 tracery. C18 Venetian style window in north wall. Perpendicular window now blocked with original tracery in east wall. Remnants of C12 corbel table at east end of nave on north and south side. Battlement with string below to nave and transept. Chancel, north side; C14 two-light traceried window restored C19 in blocking of earlier window with cusped head. Small flat-chamfered 4-centred arched priests door (now blocked) lower right. C12 corbel table decorated with carved animal and human heads. Cross of Knights Templar on corbel fifth from right (q.v. Manor Farm). Similar corbel table on south side. Early English roll-moulded corbels remain at east end from C13 extension. South side: C19 two-light traceried window with small rectangular light lower left. C19 east window comprising 2 rows of 3 lights all with cusped heads, one above the other. 3 stage tower with moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses. Plank door on west in plain C19 round-headed surround. 2-light bellcote windows with blind quatrefoils and hoods. Battlemented parapet with square pinnacles rising to points at each corner. String below with a gargoyle at each corner and intermediate gargoyles. Engaged stair turret part way up south side. Clock dated 1870 at 2nd stage on north side. Slatestone decorative tablet with triangular pediment to Thomas Howse, died 1809, on buttress on north side of tower. Interior: remains of Saxon cross on right wall inside porch, cusped heads of possible stone screen with carved spandrels also. Nave: plaster removed. High C19 round-headed arches over north and south doorways, C19 round-headed arches to chancel and transept. C18 round-headed arch with 2 engaged columns to tower. Red and black tiled floor. Decorated piscina with ballflower ornament in east wall of north transept. Aumbry with shouldered arch in north wall. C12 reused winged lion corbel on north wall. Nave, chancel and chancel roofs C19. Fittings: late Decorated octagonal stone font with carved four-leafed flowers on each face opposite south door (now blocked). Early C18 pulpit in north west corner of nave with inlay carved enrichments and sunrays. Lectern, pews and stalls all late C19 and early C20. Three C15 - early C16 stained glass panels in central window of south side nave, central panel depicting St. James the Less with his emblem, the fullers club, (fulling was once common in the parish). Monuments and plaques fine example of the arms of George II in moulded plaster, 1742 by John Switzer. C18 benefactions board above font. Restored bell wheel on north wall of nave opposite. Remains of C18 reredos with very fine commandment boards, creed and Lord's prayer with highly decorated foliate carving and margins. Decorated marble tablet with urn to The Reverend George Talbot, responsible for C18 restoration of church (q.v. Temple Guiting House), died 1785, on south wall nave towards chancel. Highly symbolic decorated marble monument to John Beale died 1774, (q.v. Manor Farm). 2 cherubs lying on draped sarcophagus with urn containing snake. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: SP0914427844
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing