CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1089446
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HATHEROP VILLAGE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089446.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:31:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HATHEROP VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Hatherop
National Grid Reference:
SP 15384 05095

Details

SP 10 NE HATHEROP HATHEROP VILLAGE (south side)

2/77 Church of St. Nicholas

26.11.58 II*

Anglican parish church. Rebuilt 1854-55 by Henry Clutton, assisted by William Burges, for Lord de Mauley. Coursed and dressed rubble stone with quoins, tile or slate roofs. Nave with north and south aisles, crossing tower and chancel, small north porch and vestry, and south mortuary chapel. Perpendicular style with French Gothic influences. Tower has long 2-light belfry openings on each face, carved head corbel table and steep saddleback roof with coped verges with end saddlestones and top roll moulding. Weathervane on ridge. Clock to north below belfry, to west above corbel table. Nave of 5 bays with clerestorey to both sides with 2-light Perpendicular windows with arched hoodmoulds, parapet wall pierced with cusped quatrefoils set within square frames and with aedicule and statue in centre on west end. North porch has pierced small quatrefoil parapet and niche over large square doorway with colonnettes recessed in jambs and quatrefoil with mouchettes in spandrels, flanking stepped buttresses. South chapel has similar pierced small quatrefoil parapet on south side, 3 quatrefoil windows and deep French Gothic doorway with high relief carved moulding stops. To either end are stepped buttresses with steeply crossed gable on lowest step and animal gargoyles over. Interior: 3 bay arcade with faceted or cylindrical piers and 5 bay Perpendicular rafter roof supported on carved stone corbel heads. South chapel has 3-bay quadripartite vault, very richly carved frieze and capitals, and contains marble effigy of Barbara de Mauley (died 1844), by Raffaelle Monti of 1848 with flanking angel figures. Very fine stained glass throughout by O'Connor, and Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. Matching pulpit and font with fine diaper work and raised leaf carving. (David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SP1538405095

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128922
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04419/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bryan Berkeley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].