This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1088339

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, INGLEBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanton by Bridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 83213

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 32 NE PARISH OF STANTON BY BRIDGE INGLEBY ROAD 3/227 (South Side) 10.11.67 Church of St Michael GV I Parish church. C11, C12, C13, partly rebuilt 1682 by Augustine Jackson the rector, restored 1865. Rubble stone with quoins except ashlar north aisle. Steeply pitched plain tile roofs with crested ridge tiles, lapped stone copings to gables, ridge crosses and gabled C19 stone bellcote to west gable. Nave with north aisle, south porch and lower chancel. West elevation has small semi-circular headed C12 window to centre flanked by large C19 buttresses. Above to centre is a C19 rose window with bellcote above. This has two Caernarvon arches to base and similar, smaller arch over, all three with bells. Attached to north side of nave is the C13 aisle with continuous moulded sill band and coved eaves band. West elevation has a small trefoil headed single light window set high up and a stepped corner buttress with large C13 human gargoyle set diagonally above. North elevation of aisle has blocked, low, chamfered pointed doorcase to west and two Y-tracery pointed windows to east, also two hopper heads dated 1865 and a central buttress. Similar buttress to eastern corner and pointed C13 east window with cusped intersecting C19 tracery. Plain parapets over with moulded copings. To east the chancel has a 2-light C19 geometric tracery window with hood. Similar 3-light east window with semi-circular headed stone plaque over dated 1682. South elevation of chancel has similar 2-light window to that to north side, but probably of c1682, and to west there is a low chamfered pointed doorcase with hood. East corner of the nave has long and short quoining, probably Cll. South nave elevation has one 2-light and one 3-light C19 pointed windows with cusped intersecting tracery, also a gabled C19 porch to west with moulded doorcase. Inner door has C12 arch rebuilt on C19 nookshafts. Outer order of the arch has billet mould, centre order has chevrons and inner order is plain. Above to centre, is a re-set C13 coffin lid. Interior is simple with C13 three bay north arcade of double chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. C12 semi-circular headed chancel arch looks rebuilt. Roofs are all C19, with arched brace trusses to nave and scissor trusses to chancel. Chancel also has a C19 arcaded marble reredos, contemporary metal altar rails and choir stalls. Nave has simple pews and octagonal wooden pulpit on stone base of similar date and style. North aisle has pointed C13 piscina to east end and odd stone font with circular bowl on octagonal base to west end. West end of nave has a c1865 organ. There are three early memorials, two alabaster slabs re-set against the south wall of the chancel and one tomb niche with effigy in north wall of the aisle. Both slabs have incised figures of knight and a lady with latin inscriptions round, that to east is to William Sacheverell who died 1558 and that to west is to Richard Francis who died 1530. Above is another slab from the base of a tomb chest which has carvings of 14 kneeling sons and daughters with a shield to centre and to each side. Effigy in north aisle is of a priest and is c1400, also in the aisle are two re-set limestone slabs, one to Richard Sheppard who died 1728 and the other to Thomas Shipton who died 1711, and a C19 painted charity plaque. The nave has a marble wall war memorial. Chancel windows all have c1865 glass, as does the western rose window. East window of aisle has stained glass of c1880.

Listing NGR: SK3673227152

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 36735 27150

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 12:40:42.

End of official listing