This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

List entry Number: 1088149

Location

CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rowsley

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF ROWSLEY CHURCH LANE SK 26 NE 5/177 (East Side) Church of St Katherine GV II Parish church. 1855 by Salvin Junior, extended 1859. Neo- Norman style. Coursed squared and rock-faced sandstone and ashlar. Plain tile roof with decorative ridge cresting. Stone coped gables with cross finials. Nave and north aisle with east chapel, south porch, chancel, vestry and organ chamber. Chamfered plinth. Gabled north aisle partly engaged with the nave. North side of three bays, divided by pilaster buttresses and with bracket corbels between, beneath the eaves. Each bay has a 2-light window of round-arched lights divided by a colonnette with scalloped capital. To the north east a gabled vestry with plain chamfered round-arched doorway to west. The west end of the north aisle has a plainly chamfered round-arched window. To the east a pair of round-arched windows with continuous hoodmould with headstops. The west wall of the nave has two tall round-arched windows either side of a buttress which is corbelled out above to support a gabled double bellcote with a colonnette with cushion capital. The south side of the nave has three windows as to the north, set in bays divided by pilaster buttresses and with bracketed corbels. Between the first two is a projecting gabled porch with round-arched entrance with colonnettes and two orders of moulding to the arch. A stepped triplet of blind round-arches in the gable. Pair of plank doors with scrolled iron hinges. Two plainly chamfered round-arched windows to either side of the porch. To the east a partly engaged gabled south vestry with chimney stack rising from the pitch of the east gable. Plain chamfered round arched doorway to south, with studded plank door. Single round-arched window to east, and above it a gabled wooden bellcote on brackets. The chancel has clasping angle buttresses and corbel brackets beneath the eaves. One plainly chamfered round-arched window to north and south. Main east window of three round-arched lights with moulded arches and colonnettes with scalloped capitals. Wheel window above, the divisions like stumpy columns. The doorway within the south porch has a moulded round arch on colonnettes with cushion capitals. Studded plank door with decorative iron hinges. Interior: Low three-bay north arcade has circular piers and, semi-circular responds. Scalloped capitals and roll-moulded round arches of two orders. Stilted semi-circular chancel arch with semi- circular responds and crocket capitals. Moulded arch with chevron decoration. Two bay arcade between chancel and north chapel. Round arches on a square pier with marble colonnettes. Each bay sub-divided by two round arches on a marble column. The arches with serated demi-circle motif. Plain round arches from the north aisle into the north chapel and from the chancel into the organ chamber. The nave roof has arched principal trusses on stone corbels. The chancel south window has a lowered sill and adjoining arch forming the sedilia. Tiled sanctuary with mosaic dado to the east wall. Stone pulpit in the nave has a square base and a superstructure with curved projections and a marble colonnette at the angle, supporting the lectern. Neo-Norman ashlar font with wooden cover. C19 gothic choir stalls. Sturdy C20 communion rails. Brass eagle lectern of c1906. In the north aisle an Anglo-Saxon cross head, dated to the mid C9. Also in the north aisle a stone tablet inscribed in excellent script to a charity left by Rachael Ashbourn (C18). The north east chapel has tiled floor and a rich Dec style tomb chest with the recumbent effigies of Lady John Manners +1859 and her daughter. The excellently carved effigies are signed by W Calder Marshall RA, London 1862. Chapel enclosed by wrought iron gates and screen. Various C19 stained glass windows.

Listing NGR: SK2548966078

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 25489 66078

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088149 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 06:11:14.

End of official listing