Church of St Edmund


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Edmund, Back Street


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087866.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 17:47:19.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Edmund, Back Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

High Peak (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SK 15028 82901


SK 18 SE 7/18

PARISH OF CASTLETON BACK STREET (west side) Church of St Edmund


GV II* Church. Early C12, C14 and early C19. Rubble limestone and gritstone ashlar with gritstone dressings. Lead roofs hidden behind parapets. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry.

C14 west tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses with set-offs. Three-light west window with four centred arch. Lancet bell openings. Battlements and eight pinnacles. Four bay nave divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Moulded parapet with pinnacles. Rainwater heads dated 1831 when the medieval aisles were demolished. South porch also of 1831 with steep castellated gable with pinnacles. Chamfered, pointed arched opening. Studded door. Two bay chancel with two-light windows with plate tracery. Castellated parapet with pinnacles. Vestry attached to the north with C18 wooden Y-tracery.

INTERIOR: Norman chancel arch renewed in C19. One order of colonnettes with block capitals. Zig-zag decoration to the arch. Double-chamfered tower arch. Box pews inscribed with dates 1661, 1662, 1663, 1676, 1703, 1712, 1716, 1720 and 1722, and with five three-branched brass oil lamps with engraved glass globes. Nave roof with re-used C16 timbers. Plain octagonal font. Stained glass in chancel south east window, 1911 by Kempe. Other unattributed windows. Three memorials on north wall dated 1725, 1804 and 1863. The last by Patteson of Manchester.

Listing NGR: SK1502882901


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/02920/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Schofield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].