This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1087822

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Monyash

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 80579

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for: PARISH OF MONYASH CHURCH STREET (South side) 6/149 Church of St Leonards

The item shall be amended to read: Church of St Leonard

------------------------------------

SK 16 NE PARISH OF MONYASH CHURCH STREET 6/149 (South Side) 12.7.1967 Church of St Leonards GV II*

Church. Early C13, C14, restored and chancel rebuilt 1884-7 by Butterfield. Coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone slate roofs, except leaded nave aisle roofs. C19 moulded stone copings with plain kneelers to gables. Western tower, nave, nave aisles, north and south transepts, south porch and rebuilt chancel. Three stage embattled tower with recessed octagonal spire. Centrally placed buttresses to three sides up to moulded stringcourse. Southern buttress has inserted lancet window. In second stage lancet to south, clock face to north. Above moulded stringcourse and flat headed bell openings with twin cusped lights and stone slate louvres to three sides. Twin lancets to east. Projecting embattled parapets over. Gargoyle to north. Four spire lucarnes with stone slates. Four more blind lucarnes to top. North nave aisle has chamfered pointed door. Stringcourse to sides and stepped up over door. To either side, early C14 twin-light flat headed windows with curvilinear tracery. North transept with continuous stringcourse stepped up below C19 twin-light north window with reticulated tracery. C14 3-light, flat-headed deeply recessed window to east with curvilinear tracery. Similar window in equiv- alent position on south transept. Two single light windows with buttresses between to north chancel wall. C19 plate tracery, 3-light east window. Corner buttresses to either side. South chancel wall - single light window to east. C19 Y-tracery window to west, shouldered doorcase, and C14 2-light curvilinear traceried window beyond. C19 ovolo moulded south transept window with intersecting tracery over trefoil headed lights. Corner buttresses either side. Large 4-light window to south nave wall with unusual curvilinear tracery. South porch with C19 wooden screen to south. Central pointed arch with ogee-arched panels to sides. C13 south doorcase with continuous roll mouldings and moulded capitals. Interior has three bay C14 arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Outer arch mouldings spring from moulded bases over capitals on nave side. Similar tower arch. Early C13 chancel arch on stiff leaf capitals, above carved corbels. Late C12 piscina and sedilla to south chancel wall. Piscina under chamfered semi-circular,headed arch, with leaf decoration, to east. To west, three stepped, semi-circular headed niches with detached columns between and foliage capitals. Dripmould over with dogtooth decoration. All rebuilt in C19. C19 wooden choir stalls, altar rails and pulpit by Butterfield. Two white and grey marble wall memorials, one to Hugh Sheldon of 1725 with broken pedimented aedicule, other to Thomas Chenley of 1724 with classical aedicule and coat of arms to top. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil stem decorated with beasts. Hatchment of 1742. C18 wooden screen to south transept chapel.

Listing NGR: SK1514466473

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 15144 66473

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 06:14:23.

End of official listing