QUEENS' COLLEGE, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT COURT, CLOISTER COURT, PUMP COURT AND WALNUT TREE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1087041
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1950
Statutory Address:
QUEENS' COLLEGE, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT COURT, CLOISTER COURT, PUMP COURT AND WALNUT TREE COURT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087041.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:06:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUEENS' COLLEGE, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT COURT, CLOISTER COURT, PUMP COURT AND WALNUT TREE COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Cambridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 44715 58145

Details

QUEENS' COLLEGE 1. 942 The Buildings surrounding Front Court, Cloister Court, Pump Court and Walnut Tree Court. TL 4458 SE 6/279 26.4.50. I 2. Front Court Mason, Reginald Ely. East Range with Gatehouse. 1448 Red brick with stone dressings. The Gatehouse has 3 stages with octagonal corner turrets and a 4-centred moulded arch. The Gatehall has a fine original ribbed stone vault. The Muniment Room above has a quadripartite brick vault. The rest of the range has 2 storeys and attics with reproduction eaves-cornices. Most of the windows have been renewed. 3-storey turret with embattled parapet at the South-east angle. The interior has original doorways modern staircases and some C18 panelling. North Range 1448. In 2 sections, on the East the Chapel to the full height, on the West the library with 2 storeys and attics. The Chapel was refitted by James Essex in 1773-5, his ceiling removed in 1845, refitted again by G F Bodley in 1858-61. It is now part of the Library. The windows are restorations, the sundial probably mid C17, the lantern by H T Hare 1910. The interior has a mid C19 ceiling; the Antichapel has panelling of 1775. The fittings were removed to the new Chapel (qv) in 1890 except for an amount of C19 glass. The rest of the range has a number of original and C17 windows and C18 dormers. The annexe of 1804 contains the Library staircase. The Library woodwork is 1612-3. Some C15 glass in the North windows. The combination Room has C17 fittings, fireplace, doors etc; the bolection moulded panelling of 1686. Early C19 heraldic glass. The President's Study has a linenfold panelling of 1531-2, originally in the Hall and now much made up; it has a deep frieze with carved coats-of-arms. West Range. This contains the Hall, Kitchen and Butteries. 1449. The Hall has 5 bays and was restored in 1854 with new features by Thomas Johnson; there are also wooden cornices and bargeboards of the C18. The interior was very altered in 1732-4 by James Burrough who ceiled it and added new panelling. The roof was restored in 1845-6 by Dawkes. G F Bodley designed the scheme of decoration in 1875. The original fireplace was restored in 1861 with tiles by William Morris and Ford Madox Brown. The colouring of the roof is supposedly on the original pattern. The windows have heraldic glass by Hardman, 1854. The remainder of the range is of 2 storeys and attics with mainly C18 replacement windows. There is some C18 fielded panelling. The South-west corner turret was occupied by Erasmus in 1514. South Range 1448-9. Some original windows, some C18 attic dormers. The interior retains a number of original features, the beams and timber partition walls and a stone fireplace with 4-centred lead. Some C17 panelling, and much C18 fielded panelling and doors with fielded panels. Cloister Court North Range with the President's Gallery. The ground floor has a late C15 arcaded walk of 17 openings with 4-centred brick arches. The oak posts supporting the bays of the gallery above are of 1911. The paving is dated 1695. The timber-framed President's Gallery appears to be of the early Elizabethan period, restored 1911. The South front has a central semi- octagonal bay and a 3-sided bay at each end. Moulded bressumer, 2nd floor string, and eaves cornice. The windows are of 2 and 4 transomed lights with leaded lattices. The projecting brick bay at the West end of the North side contains a staircase added in 1791-3. Tile North-east wing is generally similar to the main range, and of the same date. The interior of the Gallery is entirely panelled with late C16 or early C17 oak panelling divided into bays by enriched Doric pilasters. The original fireplace has a 4-centred head. The heraldic glass is part Cl6, part early C19. The plaster ceiling is by H T Hare. The Essex Room in the North-east wing also has late C16 panelling and a fireplace. There are 2 staircases, one of the mid C17, one of the late C18. The upper floor has much reset panelling from many different periods and an original stone fireplace. West Range with the President's Lodge. Mid Cl5. 2 storeys and attics. The ground floor has a 14 bay arcade (see the North Range). The 1st floor has seven C15 2-light windows. The river front has a number of blocked original features and others of the C17 and C18. The interior of south end has a very fine late C17 staircase. The President's Dining Room has early C17 oak panelling divided by reeded and fluted Ionic pilasters. The original stone fireplace is flanked by Roman Doric fluted pilasters. The oriel window has early C18 heraldic glass. The President's Drawing Room has late Cl6 oak panelling with fluted Doric pilasters. The rest of the lodge also has period features of interest. South Walk. Same date and build as the North cloister, (see North Range) but it stands free with a lead roof and the arcade has only 11 openings. Pump Court This consists of the Essex Building, and L-shaped range, 1736-6O by James Essex. White brick with dressings of Ketton and Portland stone. The river front has a high stone plinth; and the whole a plat band and 1st floor level, cornice and balustraded parapet. The windows are sashes with glazing bars in moulded stone architraves; the ground floor ones to Silver Street have original wrought-iron grilles. The interior has an original staircase, fielded panelling in the main rooms and 6-panel doors. Walnut Tree Court East Range 1617-19. Heightened in circa 1780, reroofed and embattled in 1823. Brick with stone dressings, 3 storeys. Both faces of the building are symmetrical; the openings are original but restored. The interior is much altered. There are several original stone fireplaces, and the North main room has an original decorative wall painting employing a false perspective. The Chapel 1890. Designed by Bodley and Garner. Red brick with stone dressings. Decorated detailing. 5 bays. Tall narrow interior with a vaulted ceiling. The monuments from the old Chapel are of interest and include 3 brasses of the C15 and C16. The glass is by Hardman 1860 and 1879, and by Kempe 1890, and 1892-1902. (RCHM).

Listing NGR: TL4471558145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
47222
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].