Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081487.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:30:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 29113 60467


KNILL CP SO 26 SE 3/14

Church of St Michael




Parish church. Late C12 and early C13, extensively restored in 1876. Local igneous rock and sandstone rubble walls with sandstone dressings; stone slate roof. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel.

West tower: early C13 rectangular tower of three stages with late C19 embattled parapet, shouldered C19 light to ground floor, square headed loop lights to upper two floors.

Nave: C19 Y-tracery window with two trefoil-headed lights to left and three light C19 window with trefoil-headed lights and central trefoil in roundel to right of C19 gabled timber-framed porch. Inner altered C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head.

Chancel: two light C19 window with trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil in roundel. An altered C12 semi-circular headed light survives in north wall of chancel. Three-light C19 east window with trefoil-headed lights and three quatrefoils in roundels.

Interior: late C19 roof throughout with decorative members. Piscina circa 1200 in recess in chancel with plain round head. C13 stoup in south wall of nave with trefoil head. Early C13 tower arch with plain responds and extensively restored.

Font: circa 1200 octagonal bowl with geometric patterns in relief to each side, column base reused as stem.

Interior contains hatchments of the Walsham family formerly of Knill Court (destroyed by fire) dating from 1617 to 1874. Wall monument, 1685, commemorating Elizabeth Child, floral swags, cartouche of arms and cherub.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 1 November 2016.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12284/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].