CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1074289
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074289.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 06:43:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
Parish:
Carlton
National Grid Reference:
SK 39650 04986

Details

CARLTON SK30 SE MAIN STREET (South Side) 4/11 Church of St. Andrew

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1764 and Gothicized in 1867 by H. Goddard & Son. Brick with limestone dressings, including plinth which may be the relic of a Mediaeval building, Swithland Slate Roofs with cresting. West tower nave and chancel. West tower entirely of 1867 with clasping buttresses, western lancet and quatrefoil above, tripartite arcading to bell chamber, the outer lower arches blind. Saddleback roof of Welsh slate with ridge cresting. Door in its north wall. South arcade has paired trefoiled lights with hoodmoulds. Gabled vestry to south of chancel which has east window of 3 lights with roundels. Narrow lancet in north wall of chancel. Plain interior: tower arch rids stilted outer chamfer and hoodmould, and this detail is reflected in the chancel arch also. Elaborate nave roof of kingpost construction with ornate tracery filling the spandrels and inscriptions on the west and east tie beams. Chancel roof has scissor braced common rafters. Furnishings date from the restoration of 1867: pews, stone pulpit and font. Encaustic floor tiles to chancel, and altar rails with cusped tracery. Stained glass: north window by Theodora Salisbury of 1920, a war memorial depicting Saints Gabriel and Michael, and in the chancel north wall two saints in the lancets, Mediaeval style, 1909. Simple emblems and flower quarries in east window.

Listing NGR: SK3965004986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
188008
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15331/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].