FOUNTAINS AND TERRACE WALLS WITH LAMPSTANDARDS, STEPS AND STONE BOLLARDS ENCLOSING THE SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1066235
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
FOUNTAINS AND TERRACE WALLS WITH LAMPSTANDARDS, STEPS AND STONE BOLLARDS ENCLOSING THE SQUARE, TRAFALGAR SQUARE WC2

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066235.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:41:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOUNTAINS AND TERRACE WALLS WITH LAMPSTANDARDS, STEPS AND STONE BOLLARDS ENCLOSING THE SQUARE, TRAFALGAR SQUARE WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30059 80461

Details

TQ 2980 SE and 3080 SW and NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER TRAFALGAR SQUARE, WC2 72/149;82/21; ; 83/12 Fountains and Terrace Walls 5.2.70 with Lampstandards, steps and stone bollards enclosing the Square G.V. II* Walls, steps and bollards enclosing the open space of the square and its 2 fountains. 1840, by Sir Charles Barry as a formal setting for Nelson's Column, the actual fountains remodelled 1939 to the designs of Sir Edwin Lutyens with sculpture by Sir Charles Wheeler and W McMillan. Granite with bronze lampstandards and sculpture. Barry defined and levelled the oblong open space of the square with heavy granite retaining terrace-walls on 3 sides with steps and statue pedestals in the north-east and north-west corners and a "screen" of massive granite bollards across the level south side linking with the base of Nelson's Column. Plinth base to walls and heavy, segmental roll-lipped coping; the south ends of the east and west flanks terminate in tall circular pedestals surmounted by polygonal bronze lanterns, that to east serving as a police post. Set into the north terrace wall, below the balustraded parapet, are bronze plates of the Imperial Standards of Length and against the wall busts of Admirals Jellicoe, Beatty and Cunningham by C. Wheeler and W. McMillan, 1948. The terrace walls are surmounted at intervals by bronze lampstandards with Nico lanterns, those flanking the head of the steps to the north being elaborated with the same polygonal lanterns as those on the southern terminal circular pedestals. The fountain basins, square in plan with large "apses" to each side also have deeply lipped granite retaining walls; the marble "vase" fountains by Lutyens and the bronze Mermen and Mermaid groups in the basins respectively by Wheeler and McMillan. Trafalgar Square, known as such from 1830, owes its town planning origin to an initial proposal of Nash's in 1811-12, fully elaborated and laid out as the major executed feature of Nash's Metropolitan - West Strand Improvements of 1824-26. Survey of London; Vol XX. John Nash; John Summerson.

Listing NGR: TQ3005880461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207255
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Summerson, J, The Life and Work of John Nash, (1980)
'Survey of London' in Trafalgar Square and neighbourhood The Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields Part 3: Volume 20 , , Vol. 20, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11632/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].