Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062590.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:51:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 06155 07743


TF 00 NE UFFINGTON MAIN STREET (north side) 9/244 Church of 3.10.68 St. Michael and All Angels

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1200, C13, C14, C15, restored 1864 by Edward Browning of Stamford. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs. Western tower, nave, aisles, south porch, chancel, north chapel. 4 stage C14 ashlar tower has clasping buttresses, plinth, chamfered string courses, frieze, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Set back crocketed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in 4 principal directions. To the belfry stage are 2 light cusped headed windows with quatrefoils and brattished transomes. In the ground stage are single 2 light windows with hollow chamfered surrounds. The west doorway has elaborate continuously moulded surround having bosses and vine scroll to the outer concave order, and moulded hood. In the spandrels are carvings of jousting helms with peacock devices. The doorway is flanked by gabled niches to the buttresses having nodding ogee canopies and statue brackets. There are similar niches to the side walls. Above the door a 3 light window with cusped heads and concave surround. C19 north aisle with 2 light window to the west and 3 three light windows to the side, all with flowing tracery. In the angle to the taller C15 embattled chapel is a C19 doorway. In the coursed limestone rubble north wall are 2 tall 3 light windows with plate tracery, separated by a stepped and gabled buttress, and in the east wall a similar 4 light window. C19 chancel east window with 5 transomed lights with flowing tracery, and in the south wall a similar C19 3 light window. Nave clerestory has 3 paired C15 lights having cusped ogee heads. Above is a lozenge frieze and embattled parapet. The embattled north aisle was reconstructed C19 and now has 3 light windows with panel tracery, one of which is C15. South porch also reconstructed C19 has double chamfered outer arch now with C19 shafted reveals. The inner pointed doorway is contemporary. Interior. 3 bay nave arcades c.1200 with circular piers and abaci, hobnailed on the north, double chamfered round arches. C19 arched braced roof rises from marble wall shafts on elaborate figured corbels with Southwell style leaves to the undersides. The tall C15 tower arch has a continuously moulded surround and octagonal capitals. C19 chancel arch with clustered shafted reveals, elaborate floriate capitals and deeply moulded pointed head. To the south an opening to the pulpit has C19 richly moulded nodding ogee arched head. There are double chamfered arches to the east ends of the aisles, that to the north with an annular respond. In the north wall of the chancel is a double chamfered arch with reset annular responds. In the south side a C19 opening matching the chancel arch and an early C13 piscina with shafted reveals and reset arched head. In the north chapel west wall a further round headed arch can be seen truncated by the north wall. In the south wall are 2 small ogee headed niches, and the east wall has a quatrefoil frieze beneath a blocked opening. Stained glass, in north chapel east window by Waites 1851, and east window by Clayton and Bell, 1874. Fittings. In the nave a fine brass candelabrum dated 1685, with cherub's head. All fittings are C19, including font with marble embellishments and elaborately carved pulpit. In the tower are 3 painted charity boards. Monuments: In the chancel north wall a C14 arched tomb containing a full length effigy of a knight in armour with his head on a helm with S collar and feet resting on a lion, the legs were probably worked C16. Above, the 4 centred arch has fleurons and a panelled archivolt, the ogee hood is elaborately crocketed and rises to a foliate finial, beneath which is a triangular panel of seaweed carving. The tomb chest sides have quatrefoil frieze with shields. To the south wall of the chancel is an elaborate alabaster and marble sideboard tomb to Robert Manners d.1587 and his son, Olyver, depicting the deceased kneeling opposite an altar in armour with ruffs. Behind are semi-circular arches with roses in the archivolts. A fluted frieze bearing a memorial inscription is supported on composite pillars. Above is a cartouche of arms flanked by single shields, all in strapwork surrounds. The gadrooned base bears square sunk inscription panels. On the north side, a similar wall monument to Dr. Stanton, Dean of Lincoln, showing the deceased and wife kneeling opposite with 2 female weepers. Above are 2 semi- circular arches with an angel blowing bubbles and Time. Composite columns support a frieze and a cartouche of arms supporting an obelisk. Beneath are scaley brackets and a death's head corbel. To Mary Bertie, d.1678/9, a fine wall plaque with draped inscription panel surmounted by a cartouche of arms with flaming urn and gadrooned base. Also a monument to Charles Bertie, d,1710, in a similar draped style with palm leaves and escutcheon. In the south aisle a pair of late C18 monuments to the Pierrepoint family in the form of obelisks with urns, rectangular inscription panels, painted panels of arms beneath.

Listing NGR: TF0615507743


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08477/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Fred Halliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].