CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061267.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 07:07:28.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Melton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 70678 11988
SK 71 SW GADDESBY CHURCH LANE
Ashby Folville (east side) 9/81 Church of St. Mary 1.1.68
Parish church. Late C13, C14, C15. Restored 1875 and between 1885 and 1913, by J. Ely. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar, with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. C19 gabled external side wall stack. Chamfered and moulded plinth and sill bands. Crenellated chancel parapet with pinnacles, 1913. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle and organ chamber, chancel, south aisle and chapel, south porch. West tower, C15, 3 stages, has angle buttresses, 2 string courses, moulded plinth, linked hood mould, lozenge frieze, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles, one of them with a weathercock. First stage has, to west, a double lancet. Second stage has to west a quatrefoil light. Third stage has 4 transomed double lancet bell openings. All the openings have hood moulds and stops. Clerestory, 4 bays, has coped east gable. On each side, 4 triple lancets, those to north more ornate and with panel tracery. All have hood moulds and stops. North aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses, 3 setoffs. West end has early C14 Decorated double lancet. North side has to east, 2 C14 cusped triple lancets with coved reveals, and to west, restored cove and roll moulded C13 doorway with filleted double shafts and studded door. East end has a C14 cusped triple lancet with coved reveal. All the openings have hood moulds and mask stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has rainwater heads dated 1912. North side has a buttress flanked by single late C14 segment-headed untraceried triple lancets. East end has 2 angle buttresses, sill band and coped gable with cross. Restored C15 panel traceried transomed 5 light lancet with the lower lights blocked. South side has to west, altered opening, now containing a square headed mullioned casement. To east, a late C14 untraceried triple lancet. All these windows have hood moulds and mask stops. South aisle, 4 bays, has angle buttress to west and a single buttress to south east. South side has to west, an early C14 triple lancet wiht intersecting tracery and to east, an ogee headed reticulated triple lancet and a triple lancet with flamboyant tracery. West end has an early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. These windows all have hood moulds and stops. Single bay chapel has ballflower eaves, gabled angle buttress and a gabled single buttress to south. East end has C14 cusped triple lancet with intersecting tracery, coved reveal and hood mould both with ballflower. South side has an ogee headed reticulated triple lancet with flat head. Reveal and hood mould have ballflower decoration. South porch has chamfered plinth, small flanking buttresses, and coped gable with remains of a double sundial. Restored moulded C14 doorway with hood mould and octagonal shafts. Interior has stone benches, C19 common rafter roof with restored moulded wall plate and ridge. Restored C13 triple roll moulded doorway with hood mould, mask stops and C18 studded plank door. Tower arch, late C14, double chamfered and rebated, has hood mould and round responds, and contains the base of a restored C15 wooden screen, installed in 1970. West window has stained glass, 1976. North arcade, C13, extended and remodelled C14, 4 bays, has round responds with octagonal bases and abaci. East and west sides of piers have similar shafts and capitals. North and south sides have double coves separated by chamfers. Coved and chamfered arches blend with the pier mouldings. Coved hood moulds have no stops. Similar south arcade, 5 bays. East bays have each a Perpendicular style C20 screen. Restored late C14 roof with cambered span beams, arch braces, bosses, and wall shafts with angels, on beast mask corbels. North aisle central window has stained glass c.1935. Perpendicular style C20 screen at east end forms organ chamber. North east end has chamfered late C14 aumbry. East end has squint to chancel. South side has to east, plain opening with plank door to rood stair. Restored plain roof. South aisle east end has C20 traceried Perpendicular style screen and coved C13 piscina on corbel. To its right, double chamfered and rebated doorway to chapel. South side has to east a doorway with segmental head. Early C20 roof with arch braces and shafts on shield corbels. Chapel to east has a similar roof. East window, with a remnant of C15 stained glass, is flanked to left by a conical brakcet and to right by a mask corbel. South side has a cusped C14 piscina with moulded corbel, hood mould and mask stops. Chancel has double chamfered and rebated early C14 arch with octagonal responds. To its left, splayed rood stair enclosure with plain doorway above. Chancel north side has to west, segmental arched C14 tomb recess with double keeled roll moulding. To east, stained glass window, c.1917. East end has large ashlar Perpendicular style gradine and reredos, C20, panelled dado and stained glass window c.1930. South side has to east, chamfered and moulded early C14 piscina. To west, double chamfered and rebated archway to chapel, c.1300, with keeled responds with nailhead capitals, and hood mould. Early C20 roof has moulded tie beams, arch braces and wall shafts on shield corbels, and traceried wall plate. Fittings include Cll square font with interlaced arcading and 4 legs. C17 hourglass holder, chest, small table, 2 candlesticks made from bedposts, and 3 chairs. 2 C18 tables and a settle. C20 Perpendicular style panelled stalls, desks and lectern. Plain benches. C19 octagonal alabaster and ashlar pulpit. Memorials include panelled ashlar chest tomb with quatrefoils containing shields, and armoured effigy, probably Eustace de Folville, d.1347. Foliated cross slab with head and feet of corpse showing, C14. Incised slab with cadaver, c.1485. C16 uninscribed wall monument with panel flanked by shafts carrying angels with shields, and above, panel of Arms with supporters. Painted alabaster chest tomb with blind arcading containing figures of 11 children, moulded and inscribed top, and 2 full size effigies, to George and Anne Smith, 1607. 4 poster chest tomb, ashlar and alabaster, 1629, restored 1850 by R. Smith of London, to Francis Smith and wife. Chest has moulded base and top and empty blind arcading. Decorated crested tester with Latin inscription. C18 hatchment. 2 early C19 marble and slate tablets. Brass in crested recess, 1847. 2 C20 brasses.
Listing NGR: SK7067811988
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing