This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1060508

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cheddon Fitzpaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270549

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST22NW CHEDDON FITZPAINE CP

CHEDOON FITZPAINE VILLAGE 5/40 Church of St Mary 25.2.55 GV II*

Parish church. Late C13 tower, late C15-early C16 nave enlarged, porch and South aisle added, chancel rebuilt, 1861 church restored and North aisle added by Edward Jeboult. Red sandstone and blue lias random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs scalloped slates to chancel, decorative ridge tiles to nave, coped verges. West tower, 3 bays nave, chancel, 3 bay South aisle, 3 bay North aisle with organ chamber, South porch. 3 stage unbuttressed tower, C19 parapet pierced with trefoil headed openings, gargoyles, 3-light trefoil headed bell openings, C20 Somerset style tracery, string course, leaded lancet, C19 pointed arched West door, corrugated iron shed attached right to South West end of nave, South aisle parapet pierced with quatrefoils decorated with shields bearing the arms of the Percy family, amusing gargoyles, 2-light West window, diagonal buttresses, 2-light window left and 3-light right of single storey gable porch, moulded semi-circular arched opening said to be reset from South aisle, C19 compartment ceiling, pair of C19 noticeboards, crenellated with 2 bay cusped arcades, painted and gilded, 4 centred arch inner doorframe, C15 ribbed and studded door said to have been rebacked 1722, 2-light East window to South aisle, bulge at junction with nave, perhaps indicating ealier rood loft stair, chancel 2-light windows flanking priest's door, diagonal buttresses to chancel, 3-light East window, 2-light on North front, 2 light to organ chamber, North door, uncrenallated North aisle, two 2-light and one 3-light window, stepped buttresses, 2-light West window. Interior, rendered. 3 bay Perpendicular arcade with angle capitals to South aisle, C19 North aisle with foliage capitals, East wall of South aisle 3 inset chamfered openings with door. Narrow pointed tower arch, C20 Gothic glazed screen, out of aligment with Perpendicular 4-centred chancel arch, West wall squint. Chancel C19 ribbed barrel vault roof, C19 monopitch compartment ceiling to aisles, restored ribbed wagon roof to nave. Fine collection of C16 bench ends, nearly all with bay leaf wrapped surrounds, later one inscribed EG.SG 1660. Perpendicular Ham stone pulpit on waisted baluster with steps. Piscina in South aisle, shelf on East pillar of South aisle. Two C19 painted tin sheets detailing local charities of 1710 and 1672. Circa 1950 oak screen enclosing West bay of North aisle to ford vestry. No monuments of note. Mid C15-mid C16 the manor and advowson was held by the Percys, Dukes of Northumberland, and much of the church was built by them; a fact commemorated by their arms and insignia decorating the fabric and bench ends. (Kelly's Directory, 1897)

Listing NGR: ST2428827596

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1897)

National Grid Reference: ST 24288 27596

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060508 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jun-2018 at 11:46:09.

End of official listing