Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060345.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 12:58:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 23247 19689


CORFE CP ST2319 CORFE VILLAGE 12/23 Church of St Nicholas 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. 1842 rebuilding of Norman church, south aisle added 1858 and tower rebuilt; 1969 chancel restored. By B Ferrey, later addition by C E Giles. Squared and coursed blue lias, Has stone dressings, slate roofs, stone slates to pyramid tower of church with decorative wrought iron balustrade and finial. Entered through north-west tower, 4-bay nave and south aisle, south-east organ bay, chancel. Norman style. Three stage tower, clasping buttresses, pyramid roof, modillion cornice, 2-light louvred bell openings resting on modillion cornice, Norman style west door, double doors with good decorative hinges ; left gable end of nave with rose window, lancet to west end of south aisle, south front 5 semi-circular headed lancets linked by continuous hoodmould, double lancets to organ bay door at east end, lancet to chancel. 3 lancets east end with rose window above, stepped buttresses, roll moulding around chancel,lancets on north front, dentil moulding to nave, 3 lancets, stair turret in south-east corner. Interior: squared and coursed blue lias, tower rendered. Four bay Norman-style arcade with scalloped capitals and stencilled decoration on extrados. Norman-style chancel arch, modelled on arch of original church. C19 roofs, open ribbed to chancel, hammer beam supported on diagonal struts corbelled out, with arch bracing, carved corbels. Norman style carving to choir stalls, bench fronts and interlaced arcading to organ screen acting as reredos to south aisle altar; panelled dado to chancel; Norman style reredos to chancel, mid-late C19 stained glass, east end windows in memory of deceased 1817. Memorials to Sir Frederick Grey Cooper died 1840, and his wife, of Barton Grange (qv) with recently repainted coat of arms, opposite draped with memorial to Clifton Wheat died 1807, of Barton House. Both gentlemen appear to have had the same wife, who is commemorated in a stained glass aisle window. Painted board with Royal Coat of Arms of period 1801-16. Very interesting Norman font with interlocking arcading and carved palmette. Two Romanesque style wooden armchairs, semi-circular arms with carved lions, semi-circular headed back with billeted frieze and painted wooden cross, probably designed by Ferrey. Two simple brass plaqes by J Hardman of Birmingham, early C20. A satisfactory piece of design in the Norman style. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1955).

Listing NGR: ST2324719689


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07395/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eddy Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].