This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1054908

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Scarcliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 56 NE PARISH OF SCARCLIFFE MAIN STREET, SCARCLIFFE 7/148 (North Side) Church of St Leonard 8.7.66 II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C16, tower rebuilt in 1842, C19 restoration. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Lead and welsh slate roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel. The tower has a stop chamfered plinth and is divided into four stages by moulded string courses. Clasping buttresses to half height. On the south side the second stage has a sundial and a circular clock face to the third stage. The fourth stage has bell-openings of three double-chamfered lancets with continuous hoodmould. To the west is a double- chamfered doorway, a 2-light window with bar tracery and hoodmould above, a tiny chamfered lancet above again, and bell-openings as to the south. The north side of the tower is embraced by the vestry which forms a western continuation of the aisle. Small lancet window above, and bell-openings as to the south and west. Similar bell- openings to the east. Battlemented parapet and four pinnacles. Lean-to north aisle has a pair of chamfered lancets to the west vestry. To the north is a single chamfered doorway. The older part of the aisle has a flat-arched window with double chamfered surround and square leaded glazing. To the left is a 2-light window with square section mullion and square leaded glazing. A further similar flat-arched window to the left again. Four buttresses. Clerestory of three small rectangular chamfered lights. Small rectangular east window with wave moulding. The north side of the chancel shows evidence of later raising. Interrrupted sill band. Cusped 2- light window with hoodmould, a blocked flat-arched doorway, a chamfered lancet and a tall blocked lancet. Angle buttresses. The chancel has an east window of three cusped lights under a segmental pointed arch. Hoodmould on headstops. The south side of the chancel has a round-arched doorway with dogtooth. Hoodmould with stylised headstops and dogtooth. Panelled door. To the right is a tall chamfered lancet, and to the left a 3-light segment-pointed arched window with cusped lights. The south side of the nave is battlemented and has irregular fenestration. From the east, there are two large 3-light flat-arched windows with bead moulded surrounds and mullions. The second one has a blocked light. Then another flat-arched window of 2-lights with cusped segment headed lights and short mullions rising from the apex of each light. All three windows are set close together. Deeply projecting gabled south porch has a single chamfered pointed-arched entrance. Above the porch is a small rectangular window with wave moulded surround. To the left is a tall cross window set in a deeply chamfered surround with triangular head. Stone seats in the south porch. Interior: C12 south doorway with one order of colonettes, one roll-moulding in the arch, and a lintel with inscribed wheels, stars and saltire crosses. Scalloped capital. Pair of C19 panelled doors. North arcade of four bays, with double-chamfered round arches and a hoodmould with two headstops. Semi- circular west respond, then a circular pier, a quatrefoil pier and capital with nailhead, then an octagonal pier and a semi-octagonal respond. Plainly chamfered doorway into the tower with a lancet above. Doorway at the east end of the arcade set up, from the aisle into the rood loft. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on semi-circular responds with scallop capitals, the outer order dying into the imposts. Tomb in the south east corner of the nave; an effigy of a lady (probably Constantia de Frecheville who died in 1175). A child in her arms, her head resting on a lion, with a huge scroll of Leonine verse. C13. Charity board above dated 1832. The chancel has a number of C19 memorial tablets. Mid-Victorian stained glass in most chancel windows. North aisle east window 1902 by M. Lowndes, with strong modelling to the figures. Small octagonal font like a baluster, the octagonal cover dated 1688.

Listing NGR: SK4954368750

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK4954368750

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054908 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 01:45:29.

End of official listing