Worksop War Memorial and associated structures

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1045751
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Dec-2014
Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Memorial Avenue, Worksop

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045751.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 09:50:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Memorial Avenue, Worksop

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK5879278937

Summary

War memorial. 1925. Designed by A. H. Richardson of Worksop.

Reasons for Designation

Worksop war memorial, Memorial Avenue, unveiled in 1925, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons * Architectural interest: a large-scale and architecturally ambitious war memorial; * Context: as a key element of a wider memorial landscape, extending from the memorial, along Memorial Avenue to the Priory church; * Architect: designed by A.H. Richardson, a Worksop architect whose work is increasingly well regarded; * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

History

Worksop’s war memorial, in remembrance of local men lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 30 May 1925 by Gen Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien and dedicated by the Rt Revd Edwyn Hoskins, Bishop of Southwell. It was designed by the architect A.H. Richardson, and made by Lidster and Brammer, all of Worksop.

The memorial was restored in 2010, and an additional memorial was added in 2012.

The cenotaph forms part of a wider memorial landscape along the contemporary Memorial Avenue, which connects the cenotaph with the Grade I Priory church, the Lady Chapel of which was restored in 1922 as a further war memorial.

Details

War memorial. 1925. Designed by A. H. Richardson of Worksop.

MATERIALS: Portland stone cenotaph on Aberdeen granite base, with bronze plaques, enclosure of iron posts and spiked chains and iron lamps.

EXTERIOR: the memorial comprises a rectangular block in two stages topped by a rectangular domed cap with moulded cornice. It is supported by diagonal flying buttresses, each with two set-offs with scrolled feet, domed caps and cross motifs. On each face of the memorial are inscribed plaques with elliptical pediments on curved brackets. South face: THEIR NAME/ LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND TO THE EVERLASTING MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ WORKSOP PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918/ (Names)/ 1939 - 1945/ (Names)

North face: THEIR GLORY/ SHALL NOT BE/ BLOTTED OUT/ FOR GOD AND COUNTRY/ (Names)/ 1939 – 1945/KOREA 1950-1953

West face: COURAGE: (Names)

East face: FAITHFULNESS/ (Names)

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the memorial stands within an oval kerb with dwarf railing and spiked chains. Standing to the west of the main memorial, a monument in the form of a lectern with chamfered base, cornice and scrolled brackets, with sloping plaque, commemorates the Sherwood Foresters Regiment. To the north and south are splayed, carved and panelled piers each carrying a three-branched lamp standard.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
241300
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 24 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/138094
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27142
Other
Bassetlaw Outdoor War Memorials Survey, May 2014,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08438/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].