This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List entry Number: 1045543

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Epperstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 242096

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 64 NE EPPERSTONE MAIN STREET (north side)

9/40 Church of the Holy Cross 11.8.61

G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1853 and 1879. Ashlar, some render and red brick. Concrete pantiles to nave and chancel, lead to south aisle, plain tiles to porch and vestry. Coped gables. East chancel and east nave with decorative ridge crosses. Single ashlar and brick stack to north chancel. Tower with spire, nave, south aisle, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Diagonally buttressed embattled C13 tower set on a deep plinth with chamfered and moulded bands. 2 stages with bands. Single gargoyles to the centre of each side. Topped with a C14 spire. West side with single arched C15 window set into a deep reveal having 3 cinquefoil arched lights and cusped tracery. Over, the tower band forms a continuous hood mould. The south wall has a doorway with plank door. There are 3 small rectangular lights above. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2 arched trefoil lights with a single sexfoil over. To the left of that on the east side and under that on the west side are single clock faces. The buttressed north nave is set on a chamfered plinth. Single restored C14 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. to the left is an arched C13 doorway being moulded above the nailhead decorated imposts and chamfered below. Hood mould and human head label stops over. Further left are 2 restored C14 arched 2 light windows with reticulated tracery, hood moulds and label stops,that on the right with human head label stops. The north vestry has a chamfered arched blocked doorway. To the left is a flight of steps leading down to a segmental arched doorway. The east vestry has a single pair of restored trefoil arched lights under a flat arch. The east chancel has a single restored arched window with 3 trefoil arched lights, hood mould and worn human head label stops. The south chancel has 2 restored trefoil arched lights with hood moulds and label stops. The east wall of the southaisle is buttressed, set on a plinth and has a single restored C14 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall has 2 similar restored 2 light windows with hood moulds and label stops. Angle buttressed south porch with C13 arched entrance being moulded above thenailhead decorated imposts and chamfered below. Hood mould and humna head label stops over. Inner cavetto moulded arched doorway with imposts, hood mould and decorative label stops, door to interior side being C17. To the left of the porch is a single similar restored 2 light window with hood mould and label stops. The shallow clerestory has 2 trefoil lights. Interior. 4 bay C13 nave arcade with double chamfered arches and quatrefoil piers with fillets, moulded capitals alternate with stiff leaf, the latter facing nave and aisle. Circular responds with fillets and moulded capitals. Tall double chamfered tower arch, restored 1853, with broach stops. Restored double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and moulded capitals. The base of the altar table has C17 decoration. Circular ashlar font. In the south chancel is a slate monument to Robertus Squire 1701. That to Christopheri Raleigh Seton, 1748, has a cartouche surmounting the inscription and there is a further memorial with shaped head containing decorative shield. That to Elizabeth Hill, 1756, is surmounted by a pediment. In the south aisle is a plaque to John Odingsells 1655. The rectangular plaque is surmounted by a decorative shield. Adjacent the east wall is a C14 reclining effigy. There are some C13 floor slabs decorated with single crosses and several C17 and C18 floor slabs. The single central north nave and east windows are by E. R. Suffling, London 1908.

Listing NGR: SK6507448525

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 65076 48527

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 07:57:28.

End of official listing