Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045083.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 17:40:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 78545 87982



8/99 Church of St Martin 1.2.67 G.V. I

Parish church, C13, C14, C15, C16; chancel restored by Pearson 1885-6; N aisle by Weatherley and Jones 1891. Irregularly coursed ashlar and squared rubble with ashlar dressings, lead and slate roofs. West tower nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry, south porch. West tower 1504 ashlar, 3 stages on plinth, 2 string courses battlemented parapet, 8 crocketed pinnacles, 2 diagonal buttresses to west, 3 setoffs; plain buttreses to NE and SE, 4 setoffs that to north engaged with aisle. West window C15 cove moulded surround containing 3 round headed lights with chamfered mullions and 4 similar lights above. Third stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with cusped heads; C19 iron clock dial to west. North aisle, C19, 3 bays irregularly coursed ashlar, 4 buttresses, 2 setoffs; moulded parapet; battlemented east gable. To east large decorated triple lancet with panel tracery; to east moulded blocked doorway. Above, battlemented gable. To right 2 square-headed openings with label moulds, each containing a triple lancet with decorated tracery and chamfered mullions. East window similar. Vestry, C19, irregularly coursed ashlar chamfered plinth lead roof, moulded coped eaves; single diagonal buttress to west, 2 setoffs, a pair of clasping buttresses to the east, 2 setoffs. To east, square headed chamfered and rebated opening containing double Decorated lancet with chamfered mullion; to west, moulded blocked doorway. Chancel, C19, 2 bays, irregularly coursed ashlar, slate roof, chamfered plinth, moulded string course, battlemented parapet, 2 2 crocketed pinnacles either side, battlemented east gable with cross. North side has square headed coved opening containing triple Decorated lancet with coved mullions; to west, chamfered blocked doorway. South side has central rebated priest's door, flanked to west by square headed chamfered opening with label mould containing triple decorated lancet with cusped heads. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs plus plinth; shallow arched coved opening with plain label mould, containing triple lancet with cusped heads panel tracery and coved mullions. Nave, c.1504 bays, moulded plinth, string course, battlemented parapet, 3 buttresses, 3 setoffs on south side only. Rainwater heads dated 1891. To west, square headed coved opening with label mould and stops, containing double lancet with Decorated tracery, and chamfered mullion. To east C19 pointed arched coved opening with label mould and mask stops containing triple lancet with cusped heads. Beyond to east, square headed chamfered and rebated opening with label mould containing C19 double lancet with Decorated tracery. South porch, C14, restored C19 chamfered pointed arched opening with moulded head and label mould with leaf stops. Steep pitched scissor-braced slate roof, coped gable with cross. South door has Cl5 chamfered arched opening. C19 door with elaborate hinges. Nave north arcade C13, 2 bays plus extra bay to east central round pier on broached square base with moulded square capital; keeled responds on square and octagonal bases with square capitals. Rectangular eastern pier. Arches chamfered and rebated. South side has central pointed arched opening flanked by single square headed openings all splayed. Roof C19 with octagonal capitals carrying curved braces to the beams; arch braces to principal rafters. Curved braces from brackets to ridge and decorative wind braces to purlins. Font C19: square base with 5 octagonal columns carrying egg-shaped bowl with lozenge frieze on rim. Tower arch C13, double chamfered and rebated with moulded octagonal imposts. C19 perpendicular style screen, 7 panels. Fragment of C15 glass in west window. North aisle has C19 stained glass in all 4 windows. In NE corner blocked doorway. C19 roof with decorative windbraces. Panelling with moulding and cross at west end of chancel in place of chancel arch. Screen C19 Decorated style, 7 panels. In north east corner, monument to John Helwys, 1599, alabaster. Rectangular panelled table base with moulded edge; carved balusters framing inscription (now detached); strap work frieze with moulded cornice; above, triangular pediment with central boss flanked by square baluster finials with pyramidal caps. East wall has C19 alabaster and mosaic reredos . South wall has to east, elaborate C14 ogee headed piscina. East window by Clayton and Bell 1865: One north and 2 south windows by Kempe 1885. C19 king post roof with octagonal corbels carrying arch braces to chamfered ridge. Panels have large carved central bosses.

Listing NGR: SK7854887981


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/06440/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].