This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LUKE THE EVANGELIST, AND BOUNDARY WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE THE EVANGELIST, AND BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1045052

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE THE EVANGELIST, AND BOUNDARY WALL, SHIREOAKS COMMON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shireoaks

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 241210

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 58 SE SHIREOAKS SHIREOAKS COMMON (East side)

1/2 Church of St.Luke the Evangelist, and boundary wall

G.V. II

Parish church. Decorated style. 1861-63 by T. C. Hine for fifth Duke of Newcastle. Rockfaced ashlar with banded slate and slab roofs; ashlar dressings, chamfered plinth, moulded sill, lintel and eaves bands. All openings have hood moulds with ornamental stops. Lateral and diagonal buttresses and coped gables with kneelers throughout. Nave, apsidal chancel, aisles, transepts, north and south porches, crossing tower with stair turret. Nave clerestorey, 4 bays, has on each side 4 double lancets with four centred arched heads. West end has central buttress with inscribed panel and above, gabled shrine containing figure, flanked by single cusped lancets and above again, circular window. Chancel has 4 nodal buttresses and 5 cusped double lancets. South aisle has 3 decorated lancets and similar lancet in west end. North aisle identical. Single bay south transept has gabled roof running into lean-to against tower. South side has spherical triangle window, and to right, doorway. East end has single lancet. Similar north transept has large coped flanking buttresses adjoining tower, that to left carrying octagonal chimney. Porches have moulded doorways and a single lancet on each side. 3 stage crossing tower has 2 string courses, 4 gargoyles and coped parapet; spire removed 1973. Circular stair turret to east. First stage has 2 lancets on north and south sides; second stage has clock on north and south sides; third stage has on each side a double lancet bell opening with single shafts. Nave arcades, 4 bays, have round piers with round bases and capitals, chamfered arches and hood moulds. Kingpost roof with stencilled decoration. Crossing has east and west arches with cove, roll and filletted moulding and hood moulds. Triple marble shaft responds with foliate capitals and angel corbels. Pair of corner shafts with similar capitals. Western arch has 7 bay iron screen. Crossing has on each side an archway containing 4-panelled traceried screens with doors. Stencilled panelled ceiling with gilt bosses. Chancel has alabaster and marble inlaid panelling and elaborate Decorated. style credence, gabled reredos and crocketted gabled sedilia; 5 stained glass windows, all in memory of Henry Pelham, fifth Duke of Newcastle, 1865. South aisle has organ at east end. North aisle east end has elaborately stencilled ceiling to lady chapel. Fittings include plain pews and panelled benches; inscribed octagonal font with octagonal stem and 8 minor shafts; carved, painted and gilt ashlar pulpit; brass eagle lectern on ringed shaft. 2 brasses to Duke of Newcastle, 1865, single brass, 1900, war memorial brass on south wall. Outside, boundary wall along Shireoaks Common and Shireoaks Road, approx. 150 M long, in 2 sections. Coursed squared rubble and rounded ashlar coping. 2 wrought iron gates, one with chamfered square piers and both with pyramidal caps.

Listing NGR: SK5537680940

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 55376 80940

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045052 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:30:10.

End of official listing