This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1042234

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ancroft

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 237861

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ANCROFT ANCROFT NU 04 NW 7/8 Church of St. Anne 22/12/69

GV II*

Parish church. Nave C12. West end raised into a tower C13. Restored 1836 and again in 1870 when the nave was extended, the chancel rebuilt and the door and windows replaced. Tower restored 1886. Squared stone; Welsh slate roof. Romanesque style. Chancel, nave and west tower.

Nave south side is C12 as far as the mid-point buttress. Blocked south door with 3 orders of arches, the outer order with worn beakhead, the whole set slightly forward from wall face under a gable; an C18 sundial on the gable. Original C12 corbel table and large buttress, formerly at south-east corner of nave. Extended to east, new windows and new south doorway added in similar style in 1870.

Above the corbel table the tower was raised. On the south side it has 2 lancet windows and 2 slit windows to the newel stair. On the west aide the roof mark of the gable of the original towerless church can be seen, as can the band where the corbel table was cut away. This side has 2 faucets and a C12 window with shafts. The corbel table formerly continued on the north side; one arch remains.

2-bay chancel in similar style.

Interior: the tower was built to be defensible. It has a tunnel-vaulted ground floor blocking the C12 doorway, and a stone newel stair in the corner.

Nave and chancel entirely C19 inside. Chancel arch quite elaborate with chevron and billet moulding. King-post roofs with arched braces resting on stone corbels with good naturalistic carving.

F.R. Wilson: Survey of Churches in the Archdeaconry of Lindisfarne: Newcastle: 1870.

Listing NGR: NU0022645177

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Wilson, FR , Survey of Churches in the Archdeaconry of Lindisfarne, (1870)

National Grid Reference: NU 00226 45177

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 06:46:57.

End of official listing