This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1038360

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Uttoxeter Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 273910

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 03 NE UTTOXETER RURAL C.P. ST. MICHAEL'S ROAD (North side) 3/202 Church of St. Michael - II

Chapel of ease. 1850-52. By Thomas Fradgley of Uttoxeter. Hammer dressed ashlar;. plain tile roof with shaped tile bands, crested ridge tiles and coped verges. Early English style; 4-bay nave with buttresses marking each bay division and angle buttresses to the west, south porch, south-west bell turret, 2-bay chancel, north vestry. Nave: Lancet windows, West window of 5 grouped lancets with common hood mould terminating in heads, trefoil-headed loop above, gabled porch with pointed arch leading to pointed south door. Bell turret: 3 stages, the first two each have a single lancet; belfry has 8 trefoil-headed openings under gablets and a small stone spire. Chancel: 2 single- light trefoil-headed windows to north and one 2-light window to south. Vestry has 2-light Caernarvon arch windows and square section chimney stack to west. Interior: Pointed chancel arch with roll and fillet moulding and moulded capitals to clustered and banded columns; nave and chancel roofs with high arch-braced collars, ridge piece and 2 pairs of purlins; sedilia of 2 trefoil-headed arches with central colonette and hood mould terminating in stops carved with stiff leaf; East window has colonettes and hood mould. Fittings: Octagonal stone font, the bowl with trefoil-headed arcading; hexagonal stone pulpit with dog- tooth moulding to the angles and 8-lobed panels to the sides containing carved mythical creatures; wooden altar rail with trefoil-headed open arcading. Stained glass: Central panel of East window depicts Christ in Majesty and St. Michael slaying the dragon, outer panels have angels, 2 windows to north side of nave c.1894 and c.1919 and one on the south side c.1895. B.O.E. p.270.

Listing NGR: SK0792335857

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 270

National Grid Reference: SK 07923 35857

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 10:38:09.

End of official listing