This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1038044

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ipstones

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274708

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IPSTONES C.P. CHURCH LANE, Stocks Green SK 05 SW (north side) 6/216 Church of St Leonard 3.1.67

GV II

Parish church. Constructed 1789-92 at the expense of the Sneyd family, and extended 1902-3 by Gerald Horsley. Sandstone ashlar; part tile, part stone slate roof concealed at eaves by crenellation. Tower, nave with south porch and chancel. Tower: of 3 stages, banded at each stage and with angle buttresses of 4 stages dying into pilasters at bell chamber level and carried up to pinnacles above a crenellated parapet; Y-tracery bell chamber openings formerly taller, now part blocked, 4-light (2 outer now blocked) west window with panel tracery, trefoil lights and Tudor-arched head. Nave: of 4 bays divided by 3-stage buttresses, bands at cill and eaves level; Y-tracery windows; south- west window part-obscured by gabled porch and with oval plaque over dated 1790; further segmental pedimented plaque to south-east bay with fluted urn to tympanum. Chancel: by Horsley of 1902-3; one bay with 3-sided canted east end; angles surmounted by crocketed pinnacles; Tudor arch, 4-light east window with curvilinear tracery and low-relief crucifixion over.

Listing NGR: SK0178450219

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 01784 50219

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 10:38:47.

End of official listing