Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034857.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:58:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rugby (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 40378 84360


SHILTON CHURCH ROAD SP48SW (West side) 7/23 Church of St. Andrew 06/10/60 - II*

Church. Rebuilt C14 and C15; C15 tower and porch. Chancel restored and outer north aisle added by George Gilbert Scott 1865. Regular coursed sandstone; tower of ashlar. Chancel and porch have old plain-tile roofs; chancel has C19 coped gable parapet with moulded kneelers. Nave and aisles have lead roofs; nave has C19 moulded embattled parapet; aisles have moulded parapets. Chancel, nave, north inner and outer aisles, west tower, south porch. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splayed plinths throughout. Chancel has diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. 3-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery. Host windows have hood moulds. Blocked chamfered north doorway. North and south sides have straight-headed eastern windows of 2 trefoiled lights with moulded spandrels, and western lancets. Nave has plinth to part of south wall only. 4 buttresses of 2 offsets. Central open timber porch has moulded timbers and C19 tracery. Stone benches. Queen strut roof. Moulded doorway inside has hood mould and C19 door with decorative ironwork. Straight-headed Perpendicular 2-light windows to left and right above porch. Eastern and western windows have cusped Y-tracery. Angles have restored pinnacles. North aisle has gableted diagonal east buttress, now partly embedded in outer aisle. Lean-to roof. 3-light east window has reticulated tracery. Renewed north-west window has cusped Y-tracery. Outer aisle is largely similar. Buttress has carved heads. Shallow-pitched roof has pinnacles at angles. Moulded north-west doorway. 2-light straight-headed north-eastern window. 2-light west window has reticulated tracery. Perpendicular tower of 2 stages. Splay and high moulded plinths. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets rise into crocketed pinnacles. Moulded embattled parapet. High first stage has simple moulded Tudor-arch west doorway in chamfered straight-headed surround with sunk spandrels. C19 plank door has decorative ironwork. Renewed 3-light window above has deep splayed jambs. North east angle has shallow stair projection. Splayed course between stages. Second stage has 2-light openings with transoms and deep splayed jambs. South side has painted clockface. Interior: chancel is plastered. South-east piscina. North wall has stone shelf on half-octagonal colonnette. Some C19 stencil work around east window. Boarded barrel roof has chamfered arched braces with carved wood angel corbels, and iron ties. Part of responds and springing only of chancel arch remain. Nave has piscina in east jamb of south-east window, with trefoiled ogee openings to east and north. 4-bay Perpendicular north arcade of 2 chamfered orders, octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals, and continuous hood mould. First bay has only a corbel to east. Third and fourth bays are separated by a broader pier with 2 half-octagons and a chamfered south respond. Carved head between second and third bays. Tower arch of 2 segmental-pointed orders. C19 Perpendicular roof. North aisle has arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders dividing off west bay. East window has hood mould. 3-bay C19 aisle arcade is similar to nave arcade, but with one round pier between second and third bays, and carved heads between each arch. Outer aisle has chamfered, moulded and cusped crown post roof. Fittings are almost entirely of 1865. Chancel has encaustic tiles and painted metal roundels on east wall. Arcaded altar rails. Low screen and gates incorporate some C15 traceried panels. Octagonal moulded and traceried wood pulpit. Heavily ornamented octagonal stone font. North aisle screen has plate tracery openings. Fine set of 13 three-branch candle-stands and 2 eight-branch candelabra of painted metal and brass, possibly by Skidmore of Coventry. Stained glass: east window 1865 by Clayton and Bell; north aisle east window mid C19 by Powell. Other C19 glass in nave and chancel. (V.C.H.: Marwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.213-4; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.395).

Listing NGR: SP4037884360


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 213 4
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 395


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].