CHURCH OF ST EDITH
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDITH, MILLERS LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034855.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:37:16.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDITH, MILLERS LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rugby (District Authority)
- Monks Kirby
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 46327 83143
HONKS KIRBY MILLERS LANE
SP49SE (North side)
8/17 Church of St. Edith
Church. C13 chancel; remainder rebuilt late C14. Considerable late C15 alterations and upper part of tower. Tower has early C18 parapet. Re-roofed late C16. Restored and vestry added 1869. Regular coursed and ashlar red sandstone; upper part of tower of grey sandstone. Roofs hidden by moulded cornices and parapets. Nave and chancel in one; aisles and chapels in one, south-west tower, south porch, south-east vestry. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. 7-bay nave and chancel; 6-bay aisles and chapels. Chancel has splayed plinth. Massive diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. Shallow-pitched roof. 3-light east window has C19 geometrical tracery. Moulded sill course stepped down to left and right. Hood mould with return stops, and string course at springing. North side has 2 small blocked Tudor-arched windows, and blocked arched window above. 3-light Perpendicular south window has transom and some renewed tracery. Low vestry has splay plinth and clasping buttresses. Chamfered east doorway with hood mould and plank door. Straight-headed 2-light Perpendicular windows to east and south. South aisle and porch have moulded and splay plinth. Aisle has 3 large buttresses of 2 offsets with crocketed pinnacles; smaller C19 east buttresses. C19 windows. 3-light Perpendicular east window has deep hollow-chamfered jambs and hood mould. South-east window has cusped Y-tracery. 3 large 3-light windows have unusual curvilinear tracery. Large 2-storey Decorated porch abuts tower. Stepped gable rebuilt C19. Large doorway of 2 moulded orders, chamfered back to square bases. Hood mould continues to form sill course of tower south window. Small 2-light window above has renewed tracery. Small narrow ogee lancet to east. Interior has tierceron-star-vault with moulded ribs and angle shafts. Large doorway of 3 moulded orders, with inner engaged shafts. C19 double-leaf doors with decorative ironwork. North aisle north wall largely rebuilt C19. Various splay plinths at differing heights. Massive buttress between aisle and. nave. 3-light windows throughout. Largely renewed Perpendicular east window has sill course. North side has east and west angle buttresses; west buttress has gablet. Four C19 full-height buttresses of 2 offsets. Smaller buttress between second and third bays. First, fifth and sixth bays have varying Perpendicular tracery. Second, third and fourth bays have reticulated tracery. First 3 bays have inverted splay sill course. Perpendicular west window has panel tracery. Aisles have lean-to roofs. Nave has deeply-recessed west window with C19 bar tracery. Massive tower of 2 stages. Double splay and moulded plinth. Massive south, north and south-east buttresses of 4 offsets. High first stage has very large 3-light west window with flowing tracery and deep splayed jambs and sill. Above is a small 2-light Perpendicular window with transom. Sill course continued across buttresses. South side is similar, but with 2-light window. 3-sided stair projection. Second stage has moulded 2-light Perpendicular bell openings with transom and C19 Gothic pierced wood openings within. Breakfront parapet has shaped gables with finials and crocketed pinnacles with weathervanes, and trefoiled lancets, mostly blind. Interior: 3-bay chancel has raised floor. Early English piscina and 3-bay sedilia have angle and detached shafts and inner trefoiled arches. Blocked Tudor-arched door between them. North wall has Tudor-arched recesses, formerly windows. C19 segmental arched opening to chapel of 4 traceried lights. Nave and chancel have moulded Perpendicular roof with tracery, on stone corbels. Perpendicular 6-bay north and 5-bay south arcades have outer chamfered and inner moulded arches dying into moulded lozenge-section piers. South arcade begins one bay further east, and cuts into the south aisle tower arch. Nave south-west tower arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer dying into the wall and the inner segmental pointed, and chamfered jambs. 2-bay chapels divided from aisles by late C19 stone and traceried wood screens. North chapel has large C14 image niches with elaborate canopies in east angles. Aisle has blocked Tudor-arched door, with another above, and blocked 4-centred door to left. South chapel has ogee piscina. C19 ogee east door. Aisle has west tower arch of chamfered outer and 2 moulded inner orders. Aisle and chapel roofs have moulded beams and purlins, some renewed. Tower has tierceron-star-vault. Fittings are almost entirely late C19. Stone reredos with alabaster cross. Gothic brass altar rails. Octagonal stone pulpit. Painted Royal arms of Charles II, dated l660, on chancel north wall. Iron-bound chest. Charities board dated 1714. Stained glass: east window 1869. West window by Hardnan. Aisles have late C19 glass. Monuments: upper half of a defaced C14 effigy in north aisle. North chapel: alabaster tombs of Feilding family have recumbent effigies. Sir William, 1547, and wife. Tomb chest with square shafts and shields. Basil, 1580, and wife. Tomb chest with mourners and rudimentary balusters. North aisle: Lady Augusta Feilding, 1848: reclining effigy. 7th Earl, 1865, and Countess of Denbigh: effigies in relief. Both monuments are signed Mary Grant 1881. South chapel: hatchment of Sir Thomas George Skipwith, 1790. The church was originally part of a priory founded in 1077 for Benedictines of St. Nicholas at Angers, and transferred to Carthusians in 1397. The spire fell in 1701. The restoration in 1869 cost eight thousand pounds. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire,, Vol.VI, pp.177-180; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.356-357; J.A. Cossins: Excursion to Monks Kirby Church etc. in Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society, 1914, Vol.40, pp.43-46; Peter Summers: Hatchments in Britain, Vol.I: Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, p.67; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.153).
Listing NGR: SP4632983143
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 356 357
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1892)
'Hatchments in Britain' in Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, , Vol. 1, (1974), 67
Cossins, J A, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Excursions of the Year 1914, , Vol. 40, (1914), 43 46
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing