CHURCH OF ST PHILIP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1024773
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, ST PHILIP'S CLOSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024773.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:11:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, ST PHILIP'S CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 23575 64500

Details

NZ 26 SW and NZ 2364 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ST. PHILIP'S CLOSE (east side) 11/491 and 18/491 Church of St. Philip (formerly listed in 14.6.54 Longley Street. GV II Parish church 1871 by Redmayne. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; rubble sandstone north walls; chamfered plinth. Welsh slate roof. Nave with north porch; paired south transepts; narrower chancel and south vestry. Double door, with ornamental wrought iron hinges, in double-chamfered surround in gabled porch. Lancet windows on north, triple lancets on west, with sill string; plate tracery to 2-light south windows, geometric tracery to tall 3-light east window. Gabled belfry at north side of west gable. South chancel hall has very tall chimney stack with offsets. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced scissor-truss roof. Blind north arcade of 4 bays; 2-bay south arcade to transepts; double-chamfered arches on round columns or half-columns; tall chamfered chancel arch with inner arch on fluted bracket. Hood moulds to arcades and to entrances. W.W.I. memorial chancel panelling, in Tudor style, bears names of dead of parish (252 in all). Piscina with billet moulding above. Square font on pink marble shafts. Thick hinges to boarded door in north porch. High-quality glass in upper lights of each window and one south chancel memorial window.

Listing NGR: NZ2357564500

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304831
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03305/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].