This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

Local Planning Advice

This page explains how Historic England provides expert advice on the management of the historic environment within the planning process. The page has information on:

  • how to make an application to change an individual heritage asset
  • how we handle applications

We use the term 'historic environment' to refer to the places all around us that contain individual 'heritage assets'. Heritage assets are listed buildings, Scheduled Ancient Monuments, Registered Parks and Gardens, Registered Battlefields, Designated Wreck sites and Conservation Areas.

Some things we can't help you with

Our planning advice

Historic England is the Government's expert adviser on the historic environment. We provide national advice on Marine Heritage and also direct advice to government itself.  

We have to be consulted on creation of policy and have a formal role in advising on some applications to change heritage assets.  Find information on when Historic England should be consulted.

How we deliver our advice

Although we are national experts, our planning advice is delivered through our nine local offices. Each local office has teams dedicated to providing advice on applications (Development Management team), working with local communities and the creation of policy (Historic Places team) and assisting in reducing Heritage at Risk. To find out more about your local Historic England office visit the individual office pages:

In addition in London, Historic England provides advice on undesignated archaeology (The Greater London Archaeology Advisory Service or GLAAS) and maintains the Historic Environment Record for London. Find information on the Historic Environment Record for London and GLAAS.

How to consult Historic England

The majority of our consultations come from local planning authorities. They take most of the decisions affecting the historic environment and are responsible for preparing the relevant policy in their Local Plan.

For complex proposals we encourage early discussion, including with Historic England, before an application is submitted. In order to give our advice we need clear and relevant information which will allow us to respond within 21 days. Find out what information we need and our timetables for response in the our Charter for Advisory Services.

When will we get involved?

Historic England is committed to 'Constructive Conservation'. We recognise that the historic environment can be adapted and has to be in use if it is to be handed on to future generations to enjoy. We will therefore advise where our national perspective can support or enrich local knowledge. In this way we help to avoid risk; either through harmful alteration, inadequate management policy or neglect, all of which can lead to redundancy and loss of what is irreplaceable. Understand how Constructive Conservation works.