St Leonard's Hospital, Museum Street, York
These are the remains of St Leonard's Hospital. It was originally known as St. Peter's Hospital. It was rebuilt by William II (r.1060-1100). This hospital was severely damaged by fire in 1137. It was then rebuilt and renamed St. Leonard's in the reign of Stephen (r.1135-54). It was run by Augustinian monks/nuns for the sick and disabled and became one of the greatest of all the English hospitals. At this time patients had to confess their sins before they could be treated. The daily routine of the hospital included religious rituals like saying prayers.