Portishead 'B' Power Station, Portishead , North Somerset
The original Portishead power station was built by Bristol Corporation's Electricity Department. It started generating in 1929. It was later expanded and renamed Portishead A Power Station. Portishead B Power Station opened in the early 1950s. Both power stations were coal-fired originally and were later converted to fully oil-fired operation. They closed in the late 1970s and early 1980s respectively. This photograph comes from the John Laing Company Archive.