Glaisdale War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Glaisdale War Memorial
List entry Number: 1440078
Junction of Carr Lane and High Street, Glaisdale, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21 2PJ
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: North Yorkshire
District Type: District Authority
National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS
This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. As these are some of our oldest designation records they do not have all the information held electronically that our modernised records contain. Therefore, the original date of scheduling is not available electronically. The date of scheduling may be noted in our paper records, please contact us for further information.
Date first listed: 20-Jan-2017
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial unveiled on 4 December 1920.
Reasons for Designation
Glaisdale War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant and striking Latin cross with carved decorative details.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Glaisdale as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
It was unveiled 4 December 1920 by Major General Sir James K Trotter, FCB, CMG.
The war memorial stands on a small green, with expansive views north down Glaisdale. It comprises a c 5m tall stone cross with an elaborated Latin cross-head on an octagonal-sectioned shaft.
The shaft is set on a tapering square plinth, itself set on a three-stage square base.
Projecting slightly from the plinth, integral tablets are inscribed: TO THE MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN OF GLAISDALE/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919/ JESU BLEST. GRANT THEM/ IN THY LOVE TO REST. The names of those who died are recorded on the other three sides of the plinth.
Glaidale War Memorial, accessed 21 Sept 2016 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/Glaisdale.html
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 Sept 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/157408
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 Sept 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/30532
National Grid Reference: NZ7751405424
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1440078 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Mar-2017 at 12:31:25.
End of official listing