Little Stukeley War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Little Stukeley War Memorial
List entry Number: 1439206
Churchyard of St Martin's Church, Church Way, Little Stukeley, Huntingdon, Cambs, PE28 4BQ
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
Parish: The Stukeleys
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 01-Nov-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, 1920, with a further name added after the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Little Stukeley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an ornate and striking Latin cross with carved decorative details; * Group value: with the Church of St Martin (Grade II*) and 11 Church Way opposite (Grade II).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Little Stukeley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Little Stukeley War Memorial was unveiled by George Charles Montagu, 9th Earl of Sandwich, in 1920. It commemorates eight local servicemen who fell in the First World War. One name was added to the war memorial following the end of the Second World War.
In 2008 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
MATERIALS: Weldon limestone.
DESCRIPTION: Little Stukeley War Memorial is situated in the churchyard of St Martin’s Church. It is a Latin cross of octagonal profile with a carved wreath attached to its front face. The cross rises from a tapered octagonal shaft which is set upon an octagonal plinth with carved corner panels and a moulded base.
The front face of the memorial has a stone plaque attached which reads: TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE FOLLOWING MEN OF LITTLE STUKELEY/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ “GOD PROVED THEM AND FOUND THEM/ WORTHY FOR HIMSELF” WISDOM III 5/ (NAMES)/ “LET THOSE WHO CAME AFTER SEE TO IT/ THAT THEIR NAMES ARE NOT FORGOTTEN”/ KING GEORGE V.
On the back of the memorial is inscribed: 1939 – 1945/ (NAME)/ UNTIL THE DAY DAWNS.
It is surrounded by a chain fence attached to stone posts.
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/122135
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/321
War Memorials Trust, accessed 21 August 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=445
National Grid Reference: TL2092775656
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439206 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2018 at 08:53:35.
End of official listing