The Robertson War Memorial Bequest Obelisk, Sharpenhoe
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: The Robertson War Memorial Bequest Obelisk, Sharpenhoe
List entry Number: 1438490
c450m south-east of Roberts Farm, Sharpenhoe Clappers, Sharpenhoe, Bedfordshire, MK45 4SH
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Central Bedfordshire
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 13-Oct-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial marker.
Reasons for Designation
The Robertson War Memorial Bequest Obelisk, which stands on Sharpenhoe Clappers, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on a family, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War; * Architectural interest: a simple yet poignant obelisk, made in an unusual material that reflects Second World War restrictions on resources, and including a plaque designed by noted sculptor and modeller Laurence Turner HonARIBA; * Historic association: as one of an unusual group of nine markers each indicating First World War memorial landscapes scattered across the south-east of England, resulting from a bequest to the National Trust.
Of the National Trust’s total land-holdings approximately one-fifth, some 50,000 hectares, has been given as a war memorial. Immediately after the First World War one of the Trust’s founders, Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley, led a call for open spaces to be given in commemoration of the tragic losses resulting from the conflict. Rawnsley had led the way when in 1915 he gifted the Trust land at Borrowdale that he named Peace How, referencing the peace that he hoped was to come. In addition to private gifts of areas of land the National Trust has bought property with money that was given for war memorial purposes, and was a major recipient of the National Land Fund, set up in 1946 to secure places of beauty or heritage value to be held in perpetuity and open to the public as a memorial to those who gave their lives in war.
William Robertson (d1937) left a bequest to the National Trust to acquire property 'within reasonably easy access of London' as a memorial to his two younger brothers who died during the First World War. Second Lieutenant Laurance Robertson (36), King’s Own Scottish Borderers, was killed in action during the Battle of the Somme on 30 July 1916. His name is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial. Captain Norman Robertson (40) of 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, died on 20 June 1917. He is buried in Hamburg Cemetery.
Nine memorial properties were purchased with William Robertson’s bequest. With the exception of Sutton House, each memorial property incorporates high ground in accordance with William Robertson's wishes. A marker records the details of each bequest: eight markers are obelisks with dedicatory plaques, the ninth is a wall plaque. The Sharpenhoe (Bedfordshire) property, purchased on 23 October 1939, includes c55 hectares of land comprising Clappers Wood and Roberts Farm, Barton-in-the-Clay. It is marked by an obelisk standing within the scheduled Sharpenhoe Clappers Iron Age promontory fort.
The obelisk was cast by Dove Brothers, London and the plaque was made by the Royal Label Factory, Stratford on Avon, to a design by Laurence Turner, HonARIBA. Laurence Turner (1864-1957) was an architectural sculptor and modeller. Following his education at Marlborough College he was articled to John McCulloch. Turner worked with many leading architects including Bodley, Eden, Tapper and Schultz, predominantly on church projects. His prolific commissions include tombs for William Morris and Norman Shaw as well as decorative work for commercial and government buildings, churches, and educational establishments.
The c2.4m tall memorial marker stands on Sharpenhoe Clappers, c450m to the SE of Roberts Farm. It takes the form of a stepped obelisk, square on plan, standing on a low step. The marker is cast aggregate concrete. The dedication, on a cast aluminium plaque inset to the front face of the obelisk, reads SHARPENHOE CLAPPERS/ WAS BEQUEATHED TO THE/ NATIONAL TRUST/ BY W. A. ROBERTSON IN/ MEMORY OF HIS BROTHERS/ NORMAN CAIRNS ROBERTSON CAPTN./ 2ND BATT. HAMPSHIRE REGT/ WHO DIED 20TH JUNE 1917 AT/ HANOVER GERMANY AND OF/ LAURANCE GRANT/ ROBERTSON 2ND LIEUT/ 2ND BATTALION KING'S OWN/ SCOTTISH BORDERERS WHO/ WAS KILLED IN ACTION IN/ FRANCE DURING THE BATTLE/ OF THE SOMME IN OR NEAR/ DELVILLE WOOD 30TH JULY 1916.
Books and journals
Benny, A, Ferneyhaugh, J, 'The Robertson Brothers' memorials' in Views, , Vol. 51, (01/09/2014), 70-2
Commonwealth War Graves Commission, accessed 01/02/2016 from http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/902618/ROBERTSON,%20NORMAN%20CAIRNS
Commonwealth War Graves Commission, accessed 01/02/2016 from http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1552002/ROBERTSON,%20LAWRANCE%20GRANT
Heritage Gateway - National Trust HBSMR, accessed 01/02/2016 from http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MNA177728&resourceID=6
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/120869
War Memorials Register, accessed 04/01/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1665
National Grid Reference: TL0662930153
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438490 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:42:56.
End of official listing