Six lamp posts along Montpellier Parade
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Six lamp posts along Montpellier Parade
List entry Number: 1432944
Montpellier Parade, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 2TJ
Six lamp posts along Montpellier Parade, Harrogate between numbers 6 and 18.
The listed buildings are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: North Yorkshire
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Non Civil Parish
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 25-Jul-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
Six cast iron lamp posts of 1848 design set along a mixed parade of late C19 and early C20 commercial buildings, sited into their current positions after circa 1970.
Reasons for Designation
The lamp posts along Montpellier Parade are listed for the following principal reasons: * Decorative design: a relatively early design of Victorian mass-produced functional yet decorative street furniture; * Date: although moved to their current locations in the late C20, these lamp posts are thought to be Victorian and relocated from elsewhere in Harrogate; * Historical interest: as a marker of Harrogate’s C19 civic pride, the introduction of street lighting from 1848 being a particular focus of the town’s early local authority; * Streetscape: for their strong visual contribution to the mixed parade of Victorian and early C20 buildings, forming an important part of the conservation area, their impact heightened by being a run of six examples.
Harrogate’s first 97 street lamps were installed by the Harrogate Gas Company in 1848 on behalf of the Improvement Commissioners (established in 1841, the forerunner of Harrogate’s local council), with further street lamps added in subsequent years. Historical records show that the provision of street lighting in the mid-C19 was a particular focus for the town’s early local authority, prompting much controversy in the years around 1850. Victorian photographs of lamp posts on Promenade Square, Chapel Street, at Christ Church and the Crown Hotel (all locations for lamp posts installed in 1848) show posts matching the design of those set along Montpellier Parade. A distant view of Montpellier Parade, shown in a circa 1875 photograph, also shows similar lamp posts which had lanterns originally lit with open gas flames, these lanterns being generally replaced after 1898 with smaller ‘Windsor’ style lanterns with more efficient gas mantles, as shown in early C20 photographs. By 1970 Harrogate’s gas lamps had all been converted to electricity, generally with swan neck fittings, these subsequently replaced with more traditionally styled lanterns based on the ‘Windsor’ design.
The 1889-90 1:500 town plan of Harrogate shows two lamp posts in the general area of those on Montpellier Parade, but not in the positions currently occupied. A circa 1970 photograph of the eastern end of the parade does not show any street lamps, suggesting that the entire row of street lamps were installed after this date.
Former gas lamp posts, 1848 design with late C20 lanterns.
FORM: cast iron with a square base with embossed decoration featuring a Yorkshire rose set above a palmette to each face. Rising from the base is a tapering, reeded column topped by a palmette decorated bell capital. Above this are a pair of small lion heads flanked by ornately shaped ladder rests. Above, supported on four curving legs (known as a frog), is a modern reproduction of a ‘Windsor’ style lantern.
STREET SETTING: lighting a pavement set back from the road along a run of late Victorian and early C20 commercial properties, none being listed.
Books and journals
HH Walker, , History of Harrogate under the Improvement Commissioners 1841-1884, (1986)
1924 photograph of a similar lamp post in Harrogate, accessed 21/4/2016 from http://www.francisfrith.com/harrogate/harrogate-adelphi-hotel-1924_75646
National Grid Reference: SE2997355288
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432944 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Apr-2017 at 05:49:48.
End of official listing