FOLKESTONE WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1393854
Date first listed:
24-Jun-2010
Statutory Address:
FOLKESTONE WAR MEMORIAL, ROAD OF REMEMBRANCE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393854.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 18:43:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOLKESTONE WAR MEMORIAL, ROAD OF REMEMBRANCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Folkestone and Hythe (District Authority)
Parish:
Folkestone
National Grid Reference:
TR 22800 35755

Reasons for Designation

Listable at Grade II*

Details

This List entry has been amended to add sources for further reading (30/11/2016)

FOLKESTONE

737/0/10047 ROAD OF REMEMBRANCE 24-JUN-10 Folkestone war memorial

II* First World War memorial by F V Blundstone. Unveiled 2 December 1922. Later enclosed with low railings and wall; plaques added in commemoration of those who fell in the Second World War.

The monument is 25ft high and 26ft wide, and is composed of a central pedestal of Cornish granite with shallow curved flanking walls to either side. The pedestal bears the inscription: MAY THEIR / DEEDS BE / HELD IN / REVERENCE

The pedestal is surmounted by a bronze female figure; robed from the waist down, holding a cross in her left hand and a laurel wreath in her right. A Union Jack hangs at half mast from the shaft of the cross. At the base of the pedestal, between the flanking walls, is a cast bronze dedication panel. Cast in bas-relief, the panel depicts the various divisions of the armed forces marching; they face towards Folkestone Harbour. Beneath the imagery is the following dedication:

THANKS BE TO GOD WHO GIVETH US THE VICTORY / IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN FROM FOLKESTONE, / AND THE MANY THOUSANDS FROM ALL PARTS OF THE EMPIRE WHO PASSED THIS SPOT ON THEIR WAY / TO FIGHT IN THE GREAT WAR (1914-1918) FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS AND FREEDOM, AND ESPECIALLY THOSE / OF THIS TOWN WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE, AND WHOSE NAMES ARE HERE RECORDED, / THIS MEMORIAL IS HUMBLY DEDICATED

On the flanking walls are bronze plaques which bear the Roll of Honour.

The memorial is surrounded by a low stone wall; to the front is a pair of bronze gates, each gate bears a bronze wreath which holds the inscription: MAY / THEIR DEEDS / BE HELD IN / REVERENCE

The memorial stands, facing out towards the sea, in the centre of a roundabout at the junction of The Leas, West Terrace, and the Road of Remembrance.

HISTORY: Folkestone war memorial was erected to honour the men of Folkestone who gave their lives during the First World War. It also remembers the thousands of men from Folkestone, and many other parts of the Empire, who marched over the site of the memorial on their way to Folkestone Harbour, from where they embarked for the battlefields of Europe. The memorial was unveiled by Lord Radnor, and was dedicated by the vicar of Folkestone, Rev. Canon Tindall. On its unveiling and dedication, floral tributes were laid by the Mayor of Folkestone (Alderman E J Bishop) on behalf of the town, Colonel W J Dugan on behalf of the Shorncliffe Garrison, the Deputy-Mayor of Calais on behalf of Calais and France, and the Vice-Consuls on behalf of the Belgian and Italian Allies.

Folkestone was a major embarkation point for troops travelling to and from Europe during the First World War. Folkestone Harbour Station served the harbour by rail, however many thousands of troops marched down to the harbour on foot. Folkestone war memorial stands at the head of the road which leads down to the harbour; the road was renamed the Road of Remembrance following the end of the war, commemorating the passage of thousands of men along it on their way to war.

Ferdinand Victor Blundstone (1882-1951) was of English and French descent and studied at the Royal Academy, where he won a travelling scholarship. He later attended the John Cass School of Art and worked under the celebrated sculptor Gilbert Bayes (1872-1953). Blundstone undertook a number of commissions for commemorative monuments, including the war memorial on Trinity Street, Stalybridge, Greater Manchester, listed Grade II* and the two war memorials at the Prudential Assurance building, Holborn, London, listed Grade II*.

SOURCES: 'Unveiling by Lord Radnor', The Times, 4 December 1922 'The Unveiling of Folkestone (civic) War Memorial', Folkestone Express, 9 December 1922, accessed at www.folkestonehistory.org.uk on 27 April 2010

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION Folkestone war memorial is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First World War, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level. * Historic interest: the memorial is a tangible reminder of the role of Folkestone during the conflict, and commemorates the site over which thousands of men from across the Empire marched on their way to Folkestone Harbour, and on to the battlefields of Europe. * Historic interest: plaques to The Fallen of the Second World War add to the nationally special interest. * Artistic interest: the memorial presents a powerful and poignant piece of sculpture by a nationally important artist.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 November 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
508065
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 30/11/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/133932
War Memorials Register, accessed 30/11/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1616

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].