CHURCH OF ST MARY ROTHERHITHE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1385867
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY ROTHERHITHE, ST MARYCHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385867.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:58:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY ROTHERHITHE, ST MARYCHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35172 79848

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3579 ST MARYCHURCH STREET 636-1/6/729 (North side) 06/12/49 Church of St Mary Rotherhithe (Formerly Listed as: ST MARY CHURCH STREET (North side) Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Church. 1714 rebuild of medieval church, tower inscribed 1747, spire rebuilt 1861, interior restored 1876. Tower by L Dowbiggin, interior by William Butterfield. MATERIALS: yellow brick with red brick and white stone dressings; heavy dentil cornice with brick parapet above to main building, stone quoins to church and tower. PLAN: rectangular plan with projecting west tower, centre bay at east end projecting as sanctuary, later 1-storey extension to north east for vestry and hall extension to north. EXTERIOR: main body of church 2 storeys, 5 bays with doors at either end of south side (right one now blocked up) with segmental-headed stone architrave, angel-head keystone and cornice on scrolled console brackets. Short, segmental-headed ground-floor windows with stone architraves and keystones and rubbed, red brick surrounds. Similar treatment to tall 1st-floor windows with round arches. Tower of 3 storeys, 1 bay to each face, has door in south side with stone Gibbs surround and cornice over. Ground and 1st floor of tower treated like main church, frieze and cornice above 1st floor. Tall 2nd floor with, on each face, a clock below and above a round-arched, louvred bell opening with bracketed and eared stone architrave with keystone. Balustraded parapet, circular Corinthian lantern stage above; obelisk spire. Similarly treated, large round-arched windows to east end, the wider central bay projecting and with pediment. INTERIOR: a coved nave of 3 unequal bays with 2 giant Ionic columns each side to aisles with flat ceilings. Segmental arch to sanctuary, with C18 panelling and reredos with fluted Corinthian columns, later C19 painted panels by Florence T Nicholson. Panelled west gallery with triglyph motifs on slender wrought-iron columns with curled wrought-iron capitals. FITTINGS: organ in original case with Doric entablature and rococo ornament, by John Byfield, 1764. MEMORIALS: monuments include: Captain Anthony Wood, 1625 with



relief of 3-masted ship; and rococo cartouche monument to Joseph Wade, King's Carver, 1743.



Listing NGR: TQ3517279848

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471286
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/07255/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].