GRAND/CASINO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385203
Date first listed:
05-Oct-2000
Statutory Address:
GRAND/CASINO, 182, LORD STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385203.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 12:52:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRAND/CASINO, 182, LORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 34050 17624

Details



SD3417NW LORD STREET 664-1/10/10002 182 05-OCT-00 Grand/Casino

II



The former Grand cinema, a 1938 reconstruction of Richard Woodhead's car showroom dating from 1923. Architect for the 1938 conversion: George E. Tonge FRIBA. Faience facade. Return and rear walls of stock brick. Roof not seen. Large auditorium with stadium plan and small stage, set behind two-storey frontage range.

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical seven bay facade in subdued classical style, the bays separated by panelled pilasters on half-storey plinths surmounted by plain capitals with bay leaf drops. The entrance doors fill the three central bays of the ground floor, under a canopy, and the remaining four bays are subdivided. There is an exit door in half the last left-hand bay. The upper storey is continuously glazed with bow windows in the third and fifth bays, each one being divided into four lights. Stained glass in all the upper lights. Continuous entablature - frieze with triglyphs over the pilasters, excepting the second and seventh ones. The triglyphs have swag and drop enrichment. The parapet rises over the centre three bays and again over the middle bays. Original lettering - GRAND - on the parapet over the centre three bays.

INTERIOR: Broad entrance foyer in Moderne style with a series of fluted columns, one of which develops into a torchere. Coffered ceiling with lighting coves. A flight of wide stairs, with a central Moderne chromium balustrade and sides which fold back, ascend to a landing, then branching left and right in `tunnels'. The tunnel ceilings have simple ornamented fluted cornices and the stairs have chromium handrails. Large Moderne auditorium of the `stadium' type, ie, the rear seating is raised but with no balcony. The proscenium verticals have horizontal fluting. On the splay walls, attention is drawn to the proscenium by the four fibrous plaster bands of ornamented grills within enclosing mouldings. Through one of these displays the organ, now removed, formerly sounded. On the ceiling, a border moulding extends back from the top of the proscenium. The reserve area inside is fluted and has ventilation grilles near the top of the proscenium. Further back, over the rear seating, the ceiling develops into a circular feature with a suspended saucer dome which supports a central pendant for a light fitting. The dome is surrounded by ornamented roundels and stars. The rake of the rear seating has been removed to create a flat surface for the bingo tables. Simple horizontal mouldings on the rear and side walls, but now obscured by later fabric draping. Access to the auditorium at the lower level is through doorways encased in horizontal streamlined Moderne fluting. Shallow stage. The former caf? on the first floor over the entrance foyer is now subdivided into administrative offices for the bingo operation.

ANALYSIS: This former cinema has a large and relatively unaltered auditorium and the foyer also retains significant interest. The streamlined styling of the auditorium is particularly dramatic and successful. As a whole it is an unusual example of the conversion of one modern building type into another - a rare surviving example of a phenomenon that was not uncommon in its day. The building closed for films in 1966.

SOURCES: Harold Ackroyd: Southport Stage and Screen, Southport Public Library, 1995, pages 99-105.

Listing NGR: SD3405017624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485665
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ackroyd, H, Southport Stage and Screen, (1995), 99-105

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16753/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].