CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH GREEN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384321.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:57:34.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH GREEN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Waveney (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 50750 76388
TM5076 CHURCH GREEN 588-1/7/11 Church of St Edmund 21/04/49 (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH GREEN Church of St Edmund including Chapel of St Edmund)
Church. c1430-70. Roofs restored 1857 by EL Blackburne and 1866-7 by RM Phipson; chancel restored 1885. Parclose screens, 1885, by AE Street. Statue of St Edmund, 1989, by Andrew Swinley. Flint with ashlar dressings. Copper roofs. EXTERIOR. west tower; nave and chancel continuous, with clerestory to both and lantern fleche to nave; east end aisle chapels; south porch. 4-stage tower supported by flushwork diagonal buttresses and with parapet of quatrefoil flushwork detail. Arcaded flushwork base panelling. Arched west door with frieze of 4 arched and cusped flushwork panels right and left, and a frieze of shields above. 3-light Perpendicular west window flanked by one statuary niche either side, under canopies and set within flushwork panelling. Arch of window with flushwork lettering: SCT EDMUND ORA P NOBIS. Broad frieze of chequer flushwork above. Ringing chamber with one 2-light Perpendicular window to each face except east. Twin 2-light Perpendicular belfry openings. 2-storey south porch with polygonal stair turret to north-west. East and west walls with chequer flushwork, each pierced by one 2-light Perpendicular window under a 4-centred hoodmould. Diagonal south buttresses with flushwork. Moulded entrance arch with shields and leaf trail carving in spandrels, and a border of flushwork arcading in 3 tiers. Geometric flushwork frieze above. First floor lit through two 2-light Perpendicular windows set within flushwork arcading and separated by canopied niche containing statue of St Edmund. Panelled and traceried crenellated parapet, the design in flushwork to east and west faces. Porch interior has tierceron vault with restored foliate bosses. South door is arched, with 6 lower panels of each of the 2 leafs carved with parchment relief; 4 upper panels with parchment and heraldic relief carving. Aisles with 3-light west windows, 4-light east windows and six 3-light flanking windows, all Perp. Between windows are flushwork stepped buttresses. Arched north door and polygonal stair turret at west end of north aisle. Plain parapet to north aisle; south aisle parapet is crenellated over a corbel course of angel and grotesque heads. 18-bay clerestory articulated by shallow polygonal buttresses rising into square finial bases, each bay having 2-light window. East end buttressed diagonally: chancel has one 3-light window to north and south. 1867 east window of 4 lights above arcade of ogee headed panels in flushwork. INTERIOR: tall tower arch with multiple bowtell and casement mouldings. 7-bay nave arcade, the piers of quatrefoil section with hollows between, standing on high polygonal bases and with polygonal capitals. Roofs: continuous to nave and chancel, of alternating false hammerbeams with carved arched braces dropping to moulded wall posts on corbelheads. Arched braces rise from carved angel figures on the hammerbeams to moulded principals intersected by 2 tiers of moulded butt purlins and on to a moulded ridge piece; brattished collars. Chancel roof is panelled and painted, with fleuron bosses at intersections: west bay painted with angels carrying scrolls. Aisle roofs have principals carried on moulded arched braces, one tier of moulded butt purlins, and figurative and foliate bosses at intersections. Chancel screen, c1480, tripartite, serving aisles and central vessel, each of 3 major bays either side of arched opening: dado panels split into 2 per bay, with painted figures, restored 1930. North screen with Nine Orders of Angels; centre with Apostles, restored 1874; south with Old Testament Prophets. Painted muntins rise to arches with miniature cusping and sub-cusping. Rood beam with arcade of pierced arches. Chancel: stalls C15 with traceried front panels, misericords and animal and figurative arm rests. Benches C16. Bench sedilia to south wall has dado of shields in panels and lierne vaulting to canopies. Similar piscina, with a route tournant in dado and cruet shelves against back wall. Organ 1887. Nave: C15 octagonal font on C20 stepped plinth: font stem with niches under pairs of miniature carved ogee arches with crockets and finials. Bowl panels have wide niches under 4-centred canopies with carved lierne vaults. Tall openwork font canopy of 1935 by FE Howard. Early C16 octagonal pulpit on a tapering stem, the panels with profuse Perpendicular tracery. At angles are stepped buttresses imitating flushwork. Restored 1928 and painted. On north wall, painted hatchment of arms of George III. On north tower arch, Clock Jack, C15, in form of painted armoured figure with axe and sword. South Chapel: brass to John Bishop, d.1456, and wife, d.1473. (Bottomley A: The Church of St Edmund, Southwold: Southwold: 1991-; Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E: Buildings of England: Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 431-432).
Listing NGR: TM5075076388
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Bottomley, A, The Church of St Edmund, Southwold, (1991)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 431-432
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing