THE DUKE OF YORKS CINEMA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1380741
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1994
Statutory Address:
THE DUKE OF YORKS CINEMA, PRESTON CIRCUS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380741.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2020 at 16:53:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DUKE OF YORKS CINEMA, PRESTON CIRCUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31188 05471

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3105SW PRESTON CIRCUS 577-1/27/689 (North East side) 24/11/94 The Duke of York's Cinema

II

Cinema. Opened on 22 September 1910. Designed by CE Clayton for Mrs Violet Melnotte-Wyatt. Stucco, brick and cobbles in mortar to the rear, roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3-window range. Single-storey porch to the centre, one bay deep and 2 wide, in the form of a Palladian arcade with ornate, typically Edwardian Ionic columns and cartouches in the place of keystones, the pilasters decorated with Rococo ornament; dentil cornice; parapet with openwork panels between piers, central panel with segmental cornice and urns on piers. 2 flat-arched entrances with eared architraves, pulvinated frieze and cornice, the frieze interrupted in a characteristically Edwardian way by a rectangular panel. The ground floor either side of the porch is rusticated, with round-arched openings, now glazed as for shops; the upper part of the facade has a slightly recessed centre over the porch with 3 flat-arched windows, now blocked, having architraves and cornices on consoles, and over each a less than circular window in an oval Rococo frame with festoons and drops; modillion cornice; parapet with openwork panels either side of a semicircular pediment on consoles framing a clock surrounded by a wreath and scrolling foliage; the side wings are flanked by rusticated pilasters and have, from the first floor upwards, an oval oculus, aedicule, consoles with drops carrying a round-arched archivolt, modillion cornice and parapet; these wings were originally crowned by domes. The left-hand return in Stanley Road is detailed like the front for one bay; then comes the single-storey auditorium with 2 flat-arched entrances with architraves and 3 blank windows, the wall divided into 8 bays; the eastern ends shows cobble and mortar construction in brick panels, said to survive from the buildings of the Amber Ale Brewery, formerly on this site. INTERIOR: vestibule with cornice, and floor paved with tiles and terrazzo. The auditorium is a single ramped space; the proscenium arch has a concave architrave decorated with stars; the side walls are divided into 6-and-a-half bays by Doric pilasters which support the ribs of the elliptical-arched ceiling; the rear one-and-a-half bays contain a gallery, segmental in plan, and cantilevered out from 4 Doric columns. The auditorium was redecorated in June 1937, but it may be that only the proscenium arch and the present gallery date belong to this period of alteration. HISTORICAL NOTE: most purpose-built cinemas in Britain dating from before the First World War were built in 1910-1914, following the Cinematograph Act which came into force on 1 January 1910; The Duke of York's is thus one of the oldest surviving, and largely unaltered, purpose-built cinemas in Britain. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3118805471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
481065
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12798/29
Rights: Copyright IoE David Brogan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].