This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CAMBERWELL PUBLIC BATHS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CAMBERWELL PUBLIC BATHS

List entry Number: 1376535

Location

CAMBERWELL PUBLIC BATHS, ARTICHOKE PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3276 ARTICHOKE PLACE 636-1/11/14 (North side) 27/07/93 Camberwell Public Baths

II

Public baths. Design in 1890; dated to 1891. By Henry Spalding and Alfred WS Cross. Red brick in Flemish bond with rubbed brick and terracotta and artificial stone dressings. Netherlandish Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: roof parapeted. Gable facing elevation of 5-window range, which contains offices and caretaker's room. Single-storey bath halls to rear. Elevation to Artichoke Place has 3-storey wings with 4-storey centre ranges; single-storey structure of 3-window range to right return. All openings are flat-arched, pair of main entrances in 2nd- and 4th-window ranges, each with overlight of decorative glazing forming the words "Public Baths"; to right another, less elaborate entrance. Main entrances set in Tuscan aedicule with dentil cornice and panelled parapet above. Broad storey band between ground and 1st floors. Architraves to all ground-floor openings of moulded and rubbed brick. All windows with projecting sills, each supported by projecting brackets. 2nd- and 4th-window ranges, 1st to 3rd floors, framed by Tuscan pilastrade on each floor; the pilasters ornamented with terracotta panels in a heart pattern. Sill bands to 1st- and 2nd-floor windows. Entablature floor band between 1st and 2nd floors and full entablature above the 2nd floor, the centre sections inscribed "Camberwell Public Baths"; frieze to side ranges has swags in rubbed brick with dentil cornice. Parapets above 1st- and 5th-window ranges curve up to meet higher central section; on 3rd floor same pilaster treatment as below but shorter; Dutch gable cresting above with shell in pediment; the cresting with a clock face. Stacks to right return wall and between 1st- and 2nd-, and 4th- and 5th-window ranges. INTERIOR: in lobby the pay box survives. The slipper baths have been removed, to be replaced by gym facilities. Behind entrance lobby is 1st-class bath, of 14 bays with viewing gallery to all sides and lit by skylight; roof truss formed from a pair of hammer beams from which spring an arched brace, each bay tied by a wrought-iron brace. Side aisles formed by orthostats supporting concrete beams. One segmental-arched window for each bay. The gallery front of iron, curved in



section with open filigree work. Plaque on front wall, between entrances: "Camberwell Public Baths and Wash Houses. These buildings were erected for the Parish of Camberwell in the year 1891. Commissioners, JT Sears, RT Bonsall, JT Ralph, R Strong JP LCC, GL Turney JP, M Wallace, George Marsden Clerk to the Vestry [of Camberwell Parish], Spalding and Cross Archtitects, Balaam Bros. Builders, C William Tagg Clerk of the Works". HISTORICAL NOTE: this is one of the earliest baths which involved the architect Alfred Cross who later became a leading expert on the design of public baths and the author of the standard work on the subject, "Public Baths and Wash-houses" of 1906. Spalding also specialised in the design of this building type. His earlier works in London, in Buckingham Palace Road and Finchley Road, both designed in partnership with Auld, do not survive. The Camberwell Baths and the Dulwich Baths on Goose Green are the earliest surviving works of Spalding partnerships.



Listing NGR: TQ3269776818

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32697 76818

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 02:56:34.

End of official listing