ST OLAV'S KIRKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376530
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
ST OLAV'S KIRKE, ALBION STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376530.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:12:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST OLAV'S KIRKE, ALBION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35184 79620

Details

TQ3579 636-1/6/13 SOUTHWARK ALBION STREET (North West side) St Olav's Kirke

06/12/49

II Norwegian Seamen's Church. 1927. John L Seaton Dahl. Red brick with stone dressings and pantiled roof. C18 Domestic style with Scandinavian spire to tower above entrance. PLAN: contains porch, office and large reception hall with accommodation above. Church contained in narrower extension of three bays to east with one-storey extensions to north and south and apse to gabled east end. EXTERIOR: west half of two storeys, five bays; swept hipped roof with overhanging eaves and ridge stacks.west front has elaborate stone doorpiece to slightly projecting central bay, Ionic columns supporting entablature with broken pediment and cartouche above. Stone architraves to round-headed ground and flat-headed first-floor windows with leaded lights. Stone quoins and first floor sill band. Similar details to five bay returns to front half of building. Tower has window with stone surround, console bracketed cornice and balcony to west face; swag-decorated oculi to other faces. Stone cornice and parapet above with an urn at each corner. Spire with lantern. South-east extension has entrance with stone architrave and entablature, cartouche with mask above. INTERIOR: large panelled reception hall has fireplace either side of entrance, lantern to roof; timber arcade leading to church. Small, plain, aisleless church with nave of three bays, arched brace roof and dado panelling, continuing around sanctuary in apse extension.

Listing NGR: TQ3518479620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470532
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].