CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1361046
Date first listed:
05-Jan-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Jul-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, ST NICHOLAS CIRCLE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361046.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:41:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, ST NICHOLAS CIRCLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 58238 04501

Details

SK 5804 SW LEICESTER ST NICHOLAS CIRCLE

718/2/107 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (Formerly listed as ST NICHOLAS STREET 5.1.50 St Nicholas Church)

GV I

Church. c880 AD, possibly then cathedral, reputed to be on site of Roman temple, and incorporating much Roman masonry and brickwork. C11, C12, C16, altered 1829-30,1875-6 by Ordish & Taylor and 1888-9, restored 1904-5 by Charles Baker. MATERIALS: coursed rubble stone and brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Chamfered plinth and irregular buttresses. PLAN: nave with aisles and south porch, central crossing tower with north transept, and chancel with south chapel. EXTERIOR: west front has central4-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery and to right similar 3-light window with intersecting tracery. North front has three 3-1ight pointed arch aisle windows with intersecting tracery and a segment headed doorway to left. Gabled transept has 2 tall round headed windows and above a single similar window, transept east wall has blocked pointed arch with single lancet and quatrefoil window. Chancel north wall has 2 blocked arches. East front has 3-light pointed arch window with intersecting tracery to chancel and to left similar 4-light window with reticulated tracery. South front has C16 timber-framed gabled porch with C20 glazed front and inner doorway with round headed arch decorated with zig-zag. To left single pointed lancet and to right 3-light pointed arch window with intersecting tracery and 3 late C19 3-light pointed arch windows with sin1.ilar tracery .Single priests door has 4-centred arch doorway. Central crossing tower has two tiers of blind arcading to each face. Lower arcading has 5 simple round arches and above single central arches, containing double bell openings, flanked by pair of intersecting arches. Spire removed 1803. INTERIOR: has nave of Saxon origin with two round headed windows on inside of north wall above 2 bay round headed north arcade. South arcade replaced by single wide brick arch in 1829. South chancel arcade has 2 pointed and chamfered arches with circular pier and attached shafts. Late C11 central tower has round double arch to each side and above 5-light blind arcading. Pointed arch piscina and sedilia. C16 timber roofs. Fittings include early C20 pulpit with iron balustrade. Octagonal stone font with C20 wooden cover. Early C20 wooden pews. Niche with canopy in north aisle brought from Wyggeston's Hospital (built 1518, demolished 1875).



Listing NGR: SK5823804501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
188801
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03055/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].