CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360666
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360666.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:00:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Easton
National Grid Reference:
SP 84891 93187

Details

GREAT EASTON

SP 8493 CHURCH BANK (North End)

12/50 Church of St. Andrew

7.12.66 II* GV

Church. C12 - C15, restored 1864 and 1889, and vestry of 1906. Coursed rubble stone and ashlar, and leaded, part parapetted,roof. Stone coped gables and vestry stone stack. Collyweston slate roof to S porch. W tower and spire, nave, aisles, chancel, SE vestry, and S porch. Late C13 W tower incorporating small section of Norman herringbone masonry, of 3 stages, with angle buttresses with set-offs. W lancet, lancet to N on 2nd stage and 4 paired bell openings with bar tracery. Shafts and dog-tooth decoration on arches. Corbel-table, with heads and little arches, and ball flower frieze over. Broach spire with remains of corner pinnacles, clock faces to W and S, 2 tiers of lucarnes, and finial with weathercock. Nave arch is triple-chamfered and has tripartite shafts with moulded capitals. 3 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, one with foliage frieze and heads. N respond has small naked man. 3 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers. Perp clerestory with 3 3-light windows either side. 5 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof, dated 1774 and 1743, perhaps for restoration. N aisle has flat-topped NW window, 3 N windows, 2 flat-topped, N door and NE lancet. N window has stained glass of 1856 and NE lancet C19 stained glass.Piscina. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Chancel has N window, blocked N door, E window with stained glass of 1889, 1-light over, and probably C19 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. To SE the Vestry and S chancel chapel with 4-light Perp window. S aisle has 2 flat-topped windows, with stained glass of 1872 and c1900. S porch has doorway with double chamfered arch. Many-moulded S door. Inside are small piece of stone cross shaft with interlaced design and Royal Arms on panel, probably Georgian, but unusual heraldry. Partly Cl7 hexagonal oak pulpit on C19 base. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP8489193187

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
190952
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/07382/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Foulds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].